Please HELP!

SewperDrewper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys...I have a 1991 7.3 idi and am trying to get the motor pulled tonight. I'm gunna have to remove the front clip to get it out, and need to now how to get that crossbar that holds the tranny and ac cooler off. Please help me out as its raining and I need to get the motor in the garage asap! Thanks!

SewperDrewper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the "core support is the bar that crosses the engine compartment and sits above the radiator, tranny cooler, a/c condensor or cooler, and holds the grill and everythying, then yes...haha. Sorry for not knowing the tech term.

nyteshades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To pull the core support...remove the headlights, the grill, the valance thing under the headlights. Then take the rad out, either move the condenser or take it off. There are corner pieces on the sides next to the fenders that need to be moved. There are 4-6 bolts that connecting to the inner fender to the core support. Unbolt the battery trays from the core support, and below where the trays bolt in there is a 19 mm nut. Undo the nuts. Remember to detach the wiring harness form the core support and lift it out.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Something causing ya to no be able to go up and over the top?

Got one out of a 89 last night in 2 hours flat going over the top.:dunno

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Going over the top you need 6 bolts out at the bellhousing. If its an auto trans another 4 bolts for the converter. Then 4 exhaust manifolds to pipes nuts. Then 4 motor mounts. Pull the main engine wiring harness plug. Remove the fuel line and the battery cable connections and your done... Not too bad... Just lifting the motor up over the core support is kinda scarey. The hood can even stay in place too.... I have pulled my motor with the hood on several times but. I found its easier to just remove the springs that hold the hood open. Then prop the hood farther open so you have more room for the lifting out of the motor..

SewperDrewper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I have no idea how you could get yours out w/o removing the hood...haha, but I can't take the fan off, so that's why I've gotta pull the core support. When I lift the motor, it hits the back of the engine compartment and nearly crushes the windshield wiper motor while also wedging into the core support. Also, I don't know what kind of shop crane you guys are using, but mine won't get nearly high enough to pull over the core support. I even took off my wheels and tires and set it on blocks to lower the front end and it still sits at chest height. haha

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I have no idea how you could get yours out w/o removing the hood...haha, but I can't take the fan off, so that's why I've gotta pull the core support. When I lift the motor, it hits the back of the engine compartment and nearly crushes the windshield wiper motor while also wedging into the core support. Also, I don't know what kind of shop crane you guys are using, but mine won't get nearly high enough to pull over the core support. I even took off my wheels and tires and set it on blocks to lower the front end and it still sits at chest height. haha

Sure ya can > just need the BIG nut wrench and a hammer to give it a few whacks. :sly

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
That fan must come off to have enough room to pull the motor. The fan nut is a left hand thread. To leave the hood on you need to connect the lift chains right at the intake manifold. The lifting arm must almost touch the intake manifold. then you can lift the motor out leaving the hood inplace....

94turboidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like pulling the front apart leaving the fenders and hood on. The hood is heavy and awkward. Also raising that high in the air would be scary with as much as they weigh if using a cherry picker or something similar. I have pulled alot of gas engines pulling the hood or doing like gary said and just prop it open more, then removing the radiator and shroud. I have removed the clutch fan a few times with a big pair of channel locks but on my dads 5.4 I had to rent the regular wrench because it was on so good. You might try that.

94turboidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This doesn't show it being pulled but gives a good idea of how much room you have with the front apart. It is alot of nuts and bolts to do it but bag everything so you know where it goes back and it will be fine.

Attachments

• IMG00060-20101104-1248.jpg
    IMG00060-20101104-1248.jpg
    560.5 KB · Views: 9

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it's easier to pull the whole front clip, then to just take out the core support. Hook a rope to the hood to hold it back, then just unbolt the spring hinge, the 2 fender bolts at the top, one at the door, and one at the bottom, and one at the inner wheel well to frame on each side. Of couse, you will need to disconnect the wire harness at spots. But if you have the manpower, you can leave the radiator and batteries right where they lay. Not that I recommend leaving the batteries in, but it could be done.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online