Place to Plumb for oil pressure gauge and pyrometer

kcw12

CrazedCountryRebel
Reaction score
Can i just take out the stock oil pressure sensor, and put the gauge there, or is there a better place for it. I have a turbo on the truck, if that makes any difference.

Next question is where is the best place to mount the pyro. I was reading in another post, they amounted between the 2-3 cylinders or something like that. Would it be a sin if i put it after the turbo. Reason being is, when i had to replace my turbo, i broke the probe(if anyone can link to a cheap place to get a autometer probe it would be much appericaited).

86 1 tonhauler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
u put it right before the bolts of the drivers side exhaust manifold and for ur oil pressure just pull it from the top back part of the motor

jauguston

Retired
Reaction score
The probe location that most use is as close as convenient to the flange in the exhaust pipe, either side. That location will give you numbers that can be related to by most folks. At that location 1250 degrees is a good upper limit as told to me by the tech support person at Hypermax when I installed my turbo. I have pulled looong hills close to that number many times.

Back of the block where the stock sender is for your gauge, you can put a Tee in and run both.

Jim

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
There is also a port for the oil pressure sender on teh driver side of the engine, just in front of the where the transmission and bell housing meet. I have my digital gauge plugged hooked up there as well as they oil pressure saftely switch for the electric fuel pump. Left the stock gauge in the port that is topside!

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes...that's a good spot for a NA engine, but the oil feed for most turbos goes there. I suggested to the original poster that he use the port on the oil cooler bundle just forward of the filter. I have not done this myself...but I thought I remembered seeing here that it was a good alternate location, and also seeing such a port on the bundle when I had it out.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are 3 places you can tap for oil presure. The stock location up top, the port on the drivers side by the mounting flange, and another on the drivers side ahead of the oil filter. See the FS-2500 install in the Moose Truck album for photos.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent

Members online