Pinhole in oil pan...would JBWeld work?

Full Monte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Towcat found the leak in my oil pan. He says the engine has to come out for oil pan replacement. Has anyone ever had any success with patching a hole like this? Hole is not from hitting something...Towcat says it's from internal corrosion. I'm thinking of JBWELD, or a plug of some kind. I hate the thought of pulling the engine. Just checking my options before I bite the bullet.

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
Can't hurt to try eh? I think your problem is going to be getting it clean enough to get the JB weld to work to it's full potential. I've taken my pan off and resealed it while the engine was in the truck but it was not much fun. I couldn't take the pan totally off, I could only drop it about 1 inch or so.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
monte-
would JB weld work? Very possibly for the short term.
Is it a permanent solution? No. Chemical attack from the oil, vibrations from the motor and the thermal cycling of the motor and environment is going to work against it.
that being said, there's no loss in trying either. where it's at, you have a better chance of a cleaner bond. drain the oil, let the truck sit for a week or so, that way the oil is thinned out in the patch area. If it doesn't work, you know what you need to do.
yes. I am up early today.

Full Monte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah...and if I repair that hole, it might develop another one elsewhere.
Do they make a sacrificial anode oil drain plug or something similar to avoid this kind of problem? It seems ridiculous that an oil pan would corrode on the inside.

CJCJ

chooglin
Reaction score
I punched a hole in my oil pan up in the woods about 80 miles from civilization years ago. JB welded the 3/4" hole with multiple applications and it hasn't leaked in 8 years. Your mileage may vary. Good Luck.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah...and if I repair that hole, it might develop another one elsewhere.
Do they make a sacrificial anode oil drain plug or something similar to avoid this kind of problem? It seems ridiculous that an oil pan would corrode on the inside.
it's called driving the beast more frequently and more frequent oil changes.
at least we're not in the rustbelt where the oil pan gets attacked on the outside too.
I know what it is....it's your fear of low flying tree branches...that's why you don't like driving the beast that often :D

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
I'd give it a try - what have got to lose.... you'll just develop a leak again.

Or if you have access to a mig welder you might try welding a patch on the outside.

Or braze it.

gandalf

Reaction score
Monte,

Absolutely, give JB Weld a try. The very worst it will do is fail. Just watch the ground and your oil level more closely. As Calvin said, drain the oil so the area will be a bit cleaner and you're not fighting the oil trying to escape. Clean up the outside of the hole carefully for better holding and seal. But be careful there in case the surrounding area is weakened.

I plugged a hole in my Trooper's radiator top tank years ago with JBW. That's subject to heat, pressure, vibration, antifreeze chemical, and various other abuses. It worked like a charm.

Hope the JBW works for you.

Ken

poolguy

Slippery when wet
Reaction score
I bought a used motorcycle once that, as it turned out, had a hole in the bottom of the engine!?! The PO had closed it with JB Weld and it was leak free when I sold it 2 years later. I doubt anyone or any chemical, or anything could abuse the engine case worse than I did. I beat that old KZ900 to a pulp. But the JB Weld held its part together. Amazing!

Chuck

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well IMHO, I would use Seal All, it can seal a fuel tank while it leaks, thus it should be ok to seal a leaking pan and do it promptly. Apply several coats, follow the instructions and it works well.

Then GET THAT PAN OUT ASAP and change it out for a replacement.

sassyrel

Reaction score
then again--ive welded pans with a acetylene torch----and steel rod----------drain the oil--put the plug back in minus the gasket----and weld away--so the little bit of oil in the bottom of pan catches fire--wheres it gonna go???? and it wont create enough heat to hurt anything---and done more than one this way!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I had a pin hole in mine. Mig welded it no problem, but it sounds like your problem is different. If the pan is rusted through, welding or much heat at all and you are going to find out the true quality of the metal around the hole. As I said, mine was a hole punched by something, it was that way when I got it. The darn thing would form a seal when not running, but the windage made it leak. Hardly used enough oil to notice, but the bottom of the pan stayed wet, well until I welded it.

metrojd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oil Pan 101

I would not suggest gas welding or brazing.
I had a car I drained the oil and let it sit for a while.
Got under with the torch and a rod, started to heat and VOOM I lost my eyebrows and more.
A flame shot out of the drain hole and the breather cap blew off.
What a experance.
What I wound up doing was the sheet metal screw and rubber washer trick.
If it is a pin hole, Find a sheet metal screw that goes in tight.
I used a plumbing facett washer.
Just make sure the screw is oversized so it stays tight.
It worked for a long time for me.
But you know what they say the best fix is the right fix.
Good luck
John

Last edited:

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Instead of J-B-Weld, I would use plumber's epoxy putty, comes in a two-colored stick, you cut off a plug, knead it like Play-Doh, and mash it in/over the hole.

It will set up hard in minutes and stay there forever.

The exact same stuff can be found with a hundred different names, such as Quik Steel, etc., even Walmart has it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent