Pic of old new to me idi

Danny 57 pan

Reaction score
The mans son said they couldn't get the f450 in 4wd for some reason , so he ordered this one as close as he could get it to the 450 specs, he said it was time for oil and filter change ,nearest ford dealer is 40 miles out , where do u get filters for these and what brand , it has motor craft on it now ,

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The filter is a FL1995, IH dealer, Walmart, NAPA, Advance, O'reilly, Autozone. For the oil, most any brand of Synthetic.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup. FL1995.
Note that the 'application' for this is filter is 1994-2002 7.3 Powerstrokes, but it fits our IDIs just fine, is a larger, better, and cheaper fuel filter.
Note that as it is a larger filter, plan for oil changes taking 11 quarts of oil instead of 10.

Oil wise, go with 15w40. If you re-seal the motor, you can run 5w40 synthetic, but with old seals, you'll just get a bunch of leaks running thinner oil.
I personally like Mobil brand, but Delo and others are just fine.
The only brand to really stay away from is Shell Rotella - IDIs seem to like to burn it much more than other oils.

I personally recommend changing the oil on a regular basis, I aim for 2500 miles, especially if you are towing with it.
It's cheap insurance, and these are very 'dirty' engines, putting a lot of crud in the oil.

Antifreeze is also important - 7.3 IDIs are susceptible to "cavitation-corrosion", where a pinhole can appear from the water jacket into the cylinder.
The solution is to either use a "green" coolant with a SCA(supplimental Coolant Additive) and check it with a test-strip every 6 months or so, or go with a "HOAT" ELC coolant that is OK for older seals(some OAT coolants will destroy old rubber).

My go-to coolant is Zerex HD ELC(P/N ZXED1), available at Napa for about $20/gal(concentrate).
Your truck has a coolant capacity of around 8 gallons total, so get 4 gallons of concentrate to do a flush.

Danny 57 pan

Reaction score
He had just done a flush on the radiator , done the sca , they used Schaffer oil in there tractors , so always used it in this truck so I guess I'll stay with it , thanks for the info on the filters .