"pep" juice?

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
Someone I work with said their fuel gelled in their tractor trailer and an older guy said he had the perfect fix, he went to his truck and grabbed 3 bottles of alcohol (ibutyl spelling??? The cleaner stuff sold at drug stores) and poured them in the fuel tanks. he said after the filters were changed it fired up and ran better than it ever did, he'd run a bottle in the winter and it was like night and day. Is this true/possible? If so is there a safe ratio to use? Curiosity killed the cat, figured id ask before it kills my 6.9....

-Jon

Last edited:

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The alcohol just lets the water mix with the fuel and runs it through the engine. He probably always had water in the fuel, giving him problems, and when the alcohol finally got all the water out, it ran better.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Alcohol changes your burn rate. put enough in there and it can give a real kick, unfortunately it's real rough on seals and long term effects are not good . Your pyrometer will tell you what's going on. Or at least part of the story. Power service used to be primarily alcohol at one time , LONG time ago, aparantly they've changed their formula according to the bottle, there's no alcohol in there now.

GRU

fear the chicken legs
Reaction score
what difference does the kerosene make? doesnt it have less btu than #2? ive wondered what adding some unleaded to my %100 wvo might do, but thats probably a whole different subject there.

forcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I had 55 gallon drum of WMO, I used unleaded to thin it out. I used about 8-10 gallons of unleaded gas per 55 gallon of WMO. Seemed to work fine but don't quote me on the ratio. My oil was mostly 10w40 and needed to be thinned out quite a bit.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
what difference does the kerosene make? doesnt it have less btu than #2? ive wondered what adding some unleaded to my %100 wvo might do, but thats probably a whole different subject there.

feels to me like it gives more power:dunno

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
i heard kero burns hotter and doesn't lubricate as much as diesel. people told me before i park the truck for the winter top it off with kero, and they said it helps clean the injectors.... :dunno

-Jon

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online