Peak final charge antifreeze

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
Is anyone using peak final charge? They are stocking it at wall mart by me. I have never known anyone that used it. It seem that you need there refracometer to test it but it says you dont ever have to add sca to it. But they sell there sca to add to it if you need to.
I have test strips from napa so Ithink I will stick with there additive and green coolant
can we use extended life green coolant?

Last edited:

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
Its good coolant. Better than the conventional green in my opinion. You never have to add SCA witch is a huge plus. They do sell the final charge extender but I can't see ever needing it. They used to say to add it at 300,000 but now I think its 600,000.

The other nice thing about is that it has no silicates in it. Silicates were initially used as a corrosion inhibitors. The bad thing about silicates though is they are abrasive and are what cause the water pump bearing and seal to eventually wear out. Final charge uses a silicate free inhibitor so water pump life should be a lot longer.

Final charge is what most refer to as an ELC or extended life coolant. All heavy duty diesels have been coming from the factory pre filled with ELC for quite a few years now.

I have seen a few engines torn down that have run ELC and the cooling system looks immaculate even after a million miles. No corrosion, no cavitation, nothing.

If you do decide to switch to it I would advise flushing your cooling system before hand. No point in dumping new coolant into a dirty system.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any problems with things like oil cooler O-Rings? Many Long life coolants will eat those up

Ruger_556

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ELC doesn't cause leaks, that's a myth. The sca additive for green coats the cooling passages of the engine to prevent cavitation, this also happens to help stop leaks from starting. If it leaks after switching it's because your truck is 25 years old and needs the o-rings or gaskets replaced anyway.

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
Final charge meets the Cummins 14603 spec witch means its safe for older seals and gaskets. So long as it meets that spec it should be safe in older engines.

FoolhardyIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive been using it in my rig from when I bought it. 8 months and 4k miles so far and not a problem with any of the hoses or gaskets.

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
ELC doesn't cause leaks, that's a myth. The sca additive for green coats the cooling passages of the engine to prevent cavitation, this also happens to help stop leaks from starting. If it leaks after switching it's because your truck is 25 years old and needs the o-rings or gaskets replaced anyway.

Actually certain extended life coolants can cause leaks. Ask the GM guys about the lower intake manifold gaskets leaks associated with dexcool. Dexcool and some other coolants contain 2 ethylhexanoic acid witch is known to deteriorate older seal materials.

gnathv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had Final Charge in mine for 7 years with no problems, new radiator at that time also still looks new.

Averysm09

Reaction score
I bought the fleetcharge online from Walmart.com and had it shipped to the house for free. They come in packs of 6 1gal bottles, so I got 2 packs. Ended up being just over $10/gal. It was the 50/50 mix. While I was there, ordered some Rotella T (11 1qt bottles) for just over $3.50/bottle. Prices are very competitive.

rwk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FWIW 17 years in my diesel ford tractor with texaco elc, no leaks,no problems, still clear red fluid, changing this year to zerex precharged elc, same color to! lol think it was about 10 a gal amazon prime, boy they ate the shipping on that, got 2 case's.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online