Parking Brake Release Switch

gabbyr100rs

Reaction score
These things seem to now be made of "unobtanium". No longer on the Ferd parts list, not on Napa or Autozone.

Mine is sticking and causing my dash brake light "problem light" to come on intermittantly--if I work the plunger back and forth a few times, it goes out for a while, but always returns. Either the plunger is hanging up, or the contacts are going south, or both.

Where have you fellows found one, or if not, how did you disable the switch that is mounted on the parking brake lever support??

Thanks.

highest_vision

Reqistered User
Reaction score
Probably just a two wire plug, disconnecting it should 'bypass' the switch. If that makes the light stay on, try jumping the terminals.
I agree with EZ though, make sure nothing else is the problem. This would be a good test!
James

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Take the switch apart; clean, and lubricate all moving parts; it should be good for another twenty years.

I drove around for years with a strip of black tape hiding the always lit brake light before I fixed mine.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you sure the brake is releasing all the way? If your parking brake cables are going south, this could be a symptom. You'll know if you pull up on the pedal with your foot and the light goes out. The switch is virtually fool proof. It's just a spring loaded piece of metal that shorts the wire against the chassis. There are no bronze contacts to wear out, and the whole thing is exposed on the back side. Worse case, unbolt the parking brake assembly from under the dash, and you'll see what I'm talking about.

gabbyr100rs

Reaction score
Thanks gents.

Plenty of brake fluid. The light goes out if I cycle the switch up and down. Some how or another it loses its ground as I drive along and then spontaneously gets it back--the dash light varies in intensity, then goes out. Cycling it up and down a few times by hand always makes the light go out--only to have it reappear later on. Never have had brake function diminished while the light was on. Brakes seem more responsive with the new vac pump--wobbly pulley and all.

The parking brake lever goes all the way up, but it is not as tight as it once was. Adjusting up the rear shoes and snugging up the cables couldn't hurt--that will be on the list for this weekend.

I agree that the switch is as simple as can be--looks like a spring loaded plunger with one wire leading away from it. I will take it loose (looks like one bolt headed sheet metal screw holds it in place to the parking brake mount) and give it a good cleaning/lube.

Got the replacement pulley from the Ferd house this PM--opened an account in my shop's name and saved about 20% off full list--at $32 still too much for a 5" pulley. Write that one off to the school of hard knocks--won't do that one again--although once back together properly, it should go another 150K or so.

Thanks again for the tips. Will follow up and report back.

gabbyr100rs

Reaction score
The switch has responded favorably to a spritz of WD40. Will finish the job this weekend via removal and a thorough cleaning--along with a proper adjustment of the parking brake after I adjust the rear shoes.

Thanks for your help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent

Members online