Parking brake light stays on

mf7lakes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Park brake lever function is excellent & released. Snaps up forcefully with no sag.

Brakes function OK -- stomped on 'em and worked great and then released just fine.

But the light is still illuminated -- ideas ??

mexicanjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your brake fluid level may be low. Check all connections for corrosion, Check for any leaks.

Slicknik

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how Much vacuum are you creating at the pump compared to at the booster ?
I second to check brake fluid level and make sure it is full

rreegg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Second what everyone else said. Used to previously get intermittent parking brake light staying on but after doing other brake work (replace booster, master cylinder, front calipers, rear drum cylinders, flushes etc.) it hasn't been an issue at all

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Look at the switch at the parking brake lever. Make sure it is moving freely.

mf7lakes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what my Louisiana brain can see, that light doesn't come anywhere near the vacuum system. -- in any case I'll get some measurements on the vacuum produced + start foolin' around with that foot lever switch --- no matter what, thank you guys, and don't stop now if you see anything

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the diesel there is a switch that turns the brake light on if vacuum is low to warn that there my not be vacuum to the booster. Bullnose it is on the passenger inner fender.

James

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Aren’t the parking brake light and the brake light one in the same?

Looks like the right side of the page has a vacuum switch tied into brake light on the instrument cluster.

I might be missing things, I know my 1992 E350 will illuminate the brake light in a low vacuum situation.

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But.....it's the parking brake light that's shining....not the brake light ????

Aren’t the parking brake light and the brake light one in the same?
All of mine use the same light for the parking brake and the warning. I have a couple bullnose, couple obs powerstrokes, and several superduty.

The brake light on my '83 is on most of the time because of a vacuum leak in my hvac controls that I haven't ever gotten around to fixing.

James

mf7lakes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My grandma was from the old country and when she wanted to say someone was less than bright, she would use the word DENSE.

I am dense. My brain has --- fill in word ---.

Yes, the light sez BRAKE in red. And book sez 3 things -- pk brake not fully released - master cylinder fluid low - vacuum psi low diesel engine.

@ idle checked psi on brake booster hose at a steady 23 psi -- rev up engine no change - after reconnecting hose to booster, light remained off until heavy stomp on brakes -- remained lit until slight acceleration (increase rpm) -- not lit while running or under light braking.

Brake booster ?? Brake booster check valve ???

Thanks you guys

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Brake booster ?? Brake booster check valve ???

Hook the gauge up with the booster hooked up and see what it shows when the light comes on after stomping the brake also time how long it takes the pump to recover.

Then unhook and plug the booster line and find a easy line to pull while it is running to dump vacuum then reconnect and see how fast the pump recovers.

You can pull the booster line and blow through the line towards the booster. If you can blow through the check valve, it is bad.

James

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online