Park to drive without brake pedal.

thx997303

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I noticed today that I don't have to press the brake to shift into drive. Were these trucks just this way, or do I need to fix something?

I could just imagine my wife running something over because of this. LOL

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What year's the truck?

I don't recall ever having driven a slushbox truck before the 1992 model year where you had to press the brake to shift out of Park. Certainly my old '84 E-350 didn't require me to.

I want to say that the brake interlock was around for '92+ trucks, but I'm not certain...

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
My 89 does not require the brake to be applied to shift out of park but.. I'm on the barke as a safety thing anyway. Nothing worse then a truck that jumps forward or backwards when you put it in gear. Park too close to something and find out what can happen... On cold fast idle.... Things get big real fast... A super market parking lot.. Well just drive off That other car looked like that when you got there...:angel:

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is I think some sort of a key/shifter interlock through - can't take the key out without it in park maybe? I don't recall, I ripped the slushbox right on out of both my rigs.

I personally hate interlocks like that - just one more thing to break and one more way that we're collectively treated like idiots. :puke: