Park position on the E4OD

zigg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my new (to me) F350 Crew (with E4OD) when I first got it, the shift lever was all sloppy. I found underneath at the steering column, it was all undone where it mounted. I've since tightened it up, and for the most part it seems to work fine, but my problem is this.

When I put it in park, it feels like it should. The tranny is not in reverse, but the parking pawl does not engage and the truck is not held in place.

Question is: Does this part of the tranny somehow work electronically, or is it simply mechanical, and something other might be wrong internally?

The engine isn't running now(I suspect major hydro/cavitation), and the batteries are both out, but I figure when I'm pulling the dead engine I might as well yank the tranny at the same time and get it taken care of....

Zigg :)

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well it's hard to see if the trans linkage is adjusted right if the engine is not running. The parking gear is a very large, very heavy gear attached to the tailshaft of the trans. The pawl is an equelly large, heavy part pivoted on the case.

The easist way to test is to disconnect the cable at the trans, and manually moved the lever on the trans to the Park position. Then see if the truck still rolls. If it does roll, then the Park linkage inside the trans may be bent or broken, or (less likely) the pawl could be broken or disconnected.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online