Pajero 2.8 Can it run on WEO/WMO? Runs on WVO now 100%

Raster

Reaction score
Hay all,

Thanks for takeing the time to read this, I am wishing to run my truck on WEO/WMO but am wishing to know what oils if any I can run in her.

At the min the pajero 2.8 has a 20L tank in the boot and a 6 port valve I use to start on derv and end on derv changeing to WVO/SVO once up to temp. Allso have heat exchanger and heated fuel filter.

So can any one tell me if my old girl will run with WEO/WMO or ATF oils...

Thanks for your time.

Raster.

EDIT: I hope I posted in right place. If not can a mod move it plz.

Last edited:

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I would say if it is running on veggie oil, it should run on motor oil / atf. Just make sure you have a good source, and there is nothing in there but oil. You do not want coolant, solvents, etc in the barrel.

Most are finding with a centrifuge to filter the oil, they can get it fairly "clean" and not running into issues. Some that just use filters, have found they plug the fuel filter on the truck quickly.....

On a side note..... were here in the states, really are envious of the selection of diesel vehicles you have "across the pond". Over here, we can get Ford/Chevy/Dodge 3/4 ton and up pickups with diesels, 1 or 2 models of Mercedes cars, 1 Audi, and a couple of VW's with diesel. Everything else here runs petrol.... We see online all the different vehicles that can be purchased with diesels, and their fuel economy and just drool!!!! The Ford Ranger diesel that gets in the 30 MPG's that would be awesome here.... all our Rangers have petrol engines.......

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Raster,
Good to see more people using other types of vehicles on wvo,wmo, and such.
Did you add some extras on your Pajero, heat exchanger, etc??
I'd say ditto to snicklas comments, wmo can have a lot of undesireable "stuff" in.
Winter temps I think are going to be a problem for anyone running this kind of fuel, so keep an eye on that.

gearhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
your pajero will run just fine on engine oil if you follow the same steps you are doing now.start and stop the engine on diesel then stitch over to the oil when its hot.

HOWEVER,You CAN NOT mix the engine oil and veggy oil.It forms a really gooey emulsified mess that will plug fliters and/or lines.It will run just fine on either but keep them separated.

oddly enough straight diesel and veggy oil doesn't have that problem.

kerrynzl

Reaction score
Raster, you certainly can run WMO in a Pajero.

I have a 4D56 powered Pajero that has been running a 90% WATF 10% Gasoline blend now for a continuous 12 months [ No Diesel purchased in a year ]

There are a few mods you can do to help it run better [ lift pump at the tank, advancing the IP etc ]

Warning Here!

Don't mix WMO with WVO at all, The glycerene content in WVO will polymerise with WMO blends.

kerrynzl

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome!

I've actually been a member since Jan 2009 but for some reason my IP address was blocked [ probably because my old computer was full of viruses ]
New computer and New IP address and all is fixed

I've been using WMO fuels on and off for 12 years, my Pajero has run Oil for 18 months but I've used dedicated Oil Only in this since Jan 2011 .

Any diesel can be set up to use WMO, it is how much you are prepared to modify [ tune ] it to get good results.
Our biggest enemy is ourselves, as in greed. [ which I'm guilty of ] if we were conservative with say 50/50 blends we would have minimal issues but we won't do that will we.

My mitsy engine was recond 18 months ago, when I did that I decked the block so the pistons were 5 thou above increasing compression to 22:1.
I advanced the IP about 4 degrees to restore the diesel knock lost from the slower flame propagation of the gasoline content.
and I also fitted a helper lift pump by the tank to give the filter a fighting chance.

Another mod I did [ but not neccessary ] was to mount a spare filter head and filter on the firewall. You should always carry a spare filter
But I decided to mount it up so if I ever needed to do a roadside filter change ,all I needed to do was switch fuel hoses.

I've been active with other forums but can't be bothered with the misinformation and arguments that have been happening because some self appointed "guru's" have hijacked the whole forum.

There is no such thing as a free lunch, we swap our labour for the privilege of "free" fuel

Here's a picture of my oil cleaning "upflow processor" , I got the idea from the vege oil crowd and it works great

Attachments

• DSC07487.JPG
    DSC07487.JPG
    142.9 KB · Views: 25
  • DSC07484.JPG
    DSC07484.JPG
    137.7 KB · Views: 23
  • DSC07488.JPG
    DSC07488.JPG
    135.6 KB · Views: 23

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
kerrynzl,
Welcome back, I really like to see people that have been running WMO for many years,(gives hope to one's like me that haven't been using it that long)
Your setup looks great, I like the compactness?? of it. ;Sweet
What kind of temp swings do you have from summer to winter?? And does that have a bearing on your % of wmo use?
I agree with what you said about spare filter, started carrying one this winter, and the free lunch, gathering oil, filtering it etc. I think with most stuff a person does yourself the quality gets better.

kerrynzl

Reaction score
Thanks Brad1

The temps wher I live go from about 80 f in the summer down to 32 f in the winter mornings ,no snow at all [ no frost if I sleep in late ]
Last year I ran solely on WATF 90- 95% with 10-5% Gasoline.[ winter I used the higher gasoline content ]

Today I put the first D2 in my tank for a year beacause my truck will be off the road for a couple of weeks getting the clutch / gearbox rebuilt

I have never had any issues that weren't self inflicted.
Don't be afraid to add more gasoline [up to 30%] it cannot do any harm because of mechanical timing. Gasoline is a lot slower burning than D2 so the engine running eg:W85 willsound quieter

Glad you liked my processor, I really detest having an oily mess in my garage. I painted it blue so it wouldn't look like an explosive device [ attracting unwanted attention ]

The real trick to fuel management is STORAGE, because you can produce way more than you need [ I have 600 litres in stock ready to go ]

Maths required [ or lesson,Haha! ] .........
I work in liters or metric , 1 US Gal = 3.88 liters if you need to convert my numbers

My upflow processor tank is only 105 liters [ 27 gals ] so on a six day cycle it can produce 17.5 liters per day [ not much you might think ] but it can be increased to a 4 day cycle producing 26.25 liters per day

OK my Mitsubishi Pajero [ Montero in the USA ] gets 10km per liter which is 24.25 MPG .

Because my upflow produces 17.5 liters per day 24/7 without complaining I can produce 6387.5 litres per year [ 1646 gals ] which is enough for me to drive 63,870km's per year [ 39,915 miles ] at 100% oil
With a W85 blend this is equal to 75,141km's [ 46,959 miles ] per year

The world average is only 25600km's per year [ 16000 miles ] , So storage is very important.

My upflow also has a mixing funnel and a recirculation pump but I removed this because I now don't bother blending until I am ready to use the fuel [ It saves me parting with money until the last minute ]

Cheers Kerry

Last edited:

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
neat system, can you elaborate on how it works? i have been mixing WMO in my fuel for about 5 years or so with just a regular filter set up. i recently have picked up a centerfuge but have not had time to set it up due to 2 jobs, 3 kids and some unexpected house projects.

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i recently have picked up a centerfuge but have not had time to set it up due to 2 jobs, 3 kids and some unexpected house projects.

:eek::eek::eek:
Do you sleep at night or meet yourself at the door.:D

Kerry
With that amount of fuel in storage it makes a person think another diesel powered vehicle might not be a bad idea. Being fuel one of the most expensive part of vehicles, and there's the warm and fuzzy security feeling of having that much fuel.

kerrynzl

Reaction score
Kerry
With that amount of fuel in storage it makes a person think another diesel powered vehicle might not be a bad idea. Being fuel one of the most expensive part of vehicles, and there's the warm and fuzzy security feeling of having that much fuel.

I do,I just purchased a Nissan Bluebird Diesel [ CD20 powered ]

600 liters isn't that much to store [ 3 x 55gal drums ] in my case it is 10 x 60 liters drums, because I can lift them easy andwheel them around with a hand cart.

I've had diesels for years, but the problem has always been me turning them for a profit.
Both my brother and myself are commited WMO blenders between us we have 8 x diesel vehicles [ 2 x Mitsy's , 2 x Nissans , 3 x Toyotas ,1 x Ford courier ]

The Ford courier was my first vehicle to blend with 12 years ago because I got tired of lending it to my brother with a full tank and it being returned empty. Since then the truck has had 2 body replacements [ the engine has literally outlived the truck ]
I ended up giving the truck to my brother so I could borrow it back.

We have had minor issues mechanically , but I will say they are not oil related .

The Nissan Bluebird has a stuck "Rack" in the IP so it is gutless POS, thats how it was when I purchased it.
I'll pull the IP pump this week and open it up and "deal to it" , Zexel pumps are simple and crude

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Kerry,
Since you've had many years of use and brother helping, do you think that you have replaced engine parts and fuel system parts more often because of the wmo. :dunno
The reason I ask, when someone finds out your using wmo they would probably say something like :puke: or :rolleyes:. So for a comeback I could say, "well I know of someone who has been using it for years and not had more than normal problems"
Or something like that.
Little side note, I heard that Ford sells the Focus in Europe with a diesel engine and it gets around 80 mpg. But they wont sell it here in the states because the way diesel is refined wouldn't be covered under factory warranty.:puke::backoff
Something about diesel is not the primary fuel coming out of the refinery.:dunno

kerrynzl

Reaction score
Hi Brad,

Sorry for the late answer, for some reason the administrator keeps banning my IP address which is starting to p*ss me off no end.
Apart from emails , "fleebay" , a hotrod forum,and 2 other diesel forums my computer is not used for anything else so I cant figure out the mentality

I've also been busy sorting out a Mechanical problem.
I have to replace the bearings in my gearbox , add to that I've just done the alternator and clutch.

Because my running costs are cheap,I do more mileage now so all the "Anti WMO whingers" can indirectly blame my fuel.
I also noticed my tires wear out faster using WMO.

The biggest issue I have is when I "shoot my mouth off " and some wannabe tries to copy me and pirates my source of oil

Over here you have to pay to dispose of oil,but as soon as somebody finds out you're using it as fuel, they would rather give it to somebody else than let you have it for free even though they would be saving money[ people can be really spitefull ]

I have been really ruthless on some vehicles, eg: pouring straight uncleaned oil into the tank with a few liters of gasoline then using 1st & Rev to mix it up.[ Relying on the truck filter to clean it ]
I also used to sell my vehicles after a few months so i never had any issues show up.

Most of the issues I get now are when I first change over to WMO [ filters etc ] but many of these were ******** issues that I am now aware of.

eg: some *** diesels have "winter pack" heated fuel filters, but these filters flow the opposite direction, but our "rocket scientist" parts sellers dont know this so they sell a normal filter which is OK on Diesel fuel .
But when you run WMO through them they "strangle" themselves after about 50 miles [ I went through a pile of filters before I discovered this ]

I've done stupid things like, swapping the filter head for a normal one so I can use one of the old fuel filters [ only 50 miles ] to discover that it backflushed all the crud through the IP. These are self inflicted issues here.

I've experimented with "Heated W85" only to discover the heat vaporised the gasoline content in the fuel tank .I heated the oil before the fuel filter but the hot oil in the return line was enough to vapourise the gasoline in the tank, so after a few days the oil got heavier and heavier until the truck wouldn't cold start.

I've also had my truck running on 100% WMO with a fuel heater [ it loves this stuff ] but most of my driving is less than 10 miles so I'd waste more fuel on purge cycles than the 15-20% gasoline in a blend.

Mechanically a WMO engine loves compression, so I rebuilt my 4D56T engine and upped the compression [ and boost ] while I was at it. I used old injectors because I had full intentions of buying some special injectors from a German company that does single tank SVO conversions.
Last may I decides to replace the injector tips and while I was at it, I upped the pop-off pressures with shims [ saving $1500 over the German injectors ]

I do pull the injectors out every 3 months or so and clean the carbon from around the fire ring, this is an issue with the mechnical design in IDI Mitsubishis but it is only a 1 hour job for me to do

Thats it, NO ISSUES that aren't self inflicted

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online