P u M p P 0 r N

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have an inquisitive mind. JUST HOW DO THEY DO THAT. My first computer was a Radio Shack TRS (80?). I'm Older than you. :D My favorite TV show "How they make it"

You very well may be older than me, but I already had had three computers when the TRS-80 came out. I used to fix those for a living. ;Really I was weened on an IBM System 3 with 8K of IRON CORE memory.

Making something without a computer is the same as making it with one, with 2 very large exceptions.

1) - You don't have to make a new drawing from scratch, if there are pieces of another drawing you can re-use

2) - You can check for interference of moving parts without building it first.

Other than that, everything is built one part at a time. I imagine the whole thing starts out as a sketch on a napkin. LOL

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mel; Bet you would like to have a T-square like this. Belonged to my Uncle who was a draftsmen for Hudson Motor Car Co in the 1930's and 40's. The center and top is Mahogany and the edges are Birch. What a keep sake, still use it.

Attachments

• DVC01419.JPG
    DVC01419.JPG
    265.8 KB · Views: 6

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you for posting that!! ;Sweet I admit to being curious to see how it all goes together, although it would almost certainly be over my head!

Not even the manufacturing and engineering is whats special IMO. ITs the fact that they designed and engineered and manufactured that in the 80's.
That statement reminds me of a documentary I watched a number of years ago on the complete restoration of a P-38 Lightning that had been trapped in Greenland ice since 1942. The intricacies of something as seemingly simple as the landing gear retracting mechanism flat-out blew me away, and that design's at least 40 years older! If anyone's interested, the documentary's called Time Machine: The Hunt for the Lost Squadron and is certainly worth the time.

I think that people tend to forget what humans have been capable of in the days before the computer...I'd be lying if I said I was not in that category myself. IMHO it is truly impressive what people were able to do with a slide rule!

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an inquisitive mind. JUST HOW DO THEY DO THAT. My first computer was a Radio Shack TRS (80?). I'm Older than you. :D My favorite TV show "How they make it"
My first computer was a COCO III from Radio Shack so I guess your a bit older than me. Heck for that matter I was the one who had the first color TV in the house that I went out and bought for my Bedroom :rotflmao

Mel, Don't show that pic to any robots, you might scare them LOL.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
[QUOTESeee here ][/QUOTE]

Now I can find out!

It's hard to tell which bean in the can is the one that produced the fart.:D

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I still have my old drafting tools with an assortment of different pencils and even a table with a machine, even I remember life before CAD (or personal computers although I always wanted that Timex Sinclair that you had to assemble). I still like the feel of the HB Lead making a line and the machine floating across paper. Then I learned AutoCad on a machine in early 1990 and I thought I was something.

Our pumps are so familiar since we've always run IH diesels, and I've owned more than my share of 5.7s. But I have never really wanted to have to go through one, I figured I'd let someone who had a lot better equipped (and cleaner) work environment do the work. Though someday I want to make mine run off of a cable instead of 12 volts, just because I like everything on my trucks to be as manually controlled as possible. Speaking of which, as soon as I can find a manual bell housing I am dropping the juicebox and going with a manual I have waiting.

What amazing trucks we have!

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup. Not only is there no computer IN them, but there was probably no computer IN their making either. LOL, well almost not. I'm sure IH probably had a mainframe.

That T-square looks alot like the ones we used at Poly. We had 4 years of mandatory drafting at that high school. And if you dropped your T-square, you were sent to the corner of the room where there was a sanding block, and you sat there and you sanded it as punishment.

I almost bought a Timex Sinclair, but waited long enough to get a VIC-20 instead.

Brianedwardss

Reaction score
I'm gonna keep a link to this thread, so next time someone asks how to rebuild their pump I'll have them take a looksie :sly Thanks again Mel.

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
Probably designed with pencil and paper, a T-square, protractor, triangle and an eraser. ;Really With tolerances to the 4th decimal place. Isometric and orthagraphic views. Yea... I took drafting before computers. I'm old. LOL

You forgot the slide rule.My father taught us to use one-he was Pi**ed when we got calculators (early calculators He passed in 1963 a month B4 JFK). Today I wouldn't know where to start with a slide rule.

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
When Mel started working with this stuff the calipers were NOT digital!!!!

When Mel was a kid, his dad would pull over on the highway, and Mel would have to jump out and shovel more coal into the engine...

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you really want to be shocked the th125 which was the first true front wheel drive trans for GM was completely designed on a drafting table by Laszlo Nagy. He was the last engineer to use a drafting table there. I wish I could have been there when my dad and my uncle went to detroit for a meeting at GM and met him. As to the pump it's just a rossamaster with a couple extra ports. That design has been around for 50 years or better.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Probably designed with pencil and paper, a T-square, protractor, triangle and an eraser. ;Really With tolerances to the 4th decimal place. Isometric and orthagraphic views. Yea... I took drafting before computers. I'm old. LOL

Awesome post, thanks for sharing Mel. In regards to old school designs, lets remember that the SR-71 was designed in the early 60s without any computers, and I'm pretty sure that mach 3+ is STILL pretty fast, let alone the fact that these speeds were reached nearly 30 years ago. I love technology, but I still respect the pioneers who did it when "it was hard". And yes, I had to take drafting in college and I still have all my drawing tools and think a drafting table is still a really cool spot to look at a giant drawing.

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
Mel; Bet you would like to have a T-square like this. Belonged to my Uncle who was a draftsmen for Hudson Motor Car Co in the 1930's and 40's. The center and top is Mahogany and the edges are Birch. What a keep sake, still use it.

I have one of those that was my grandfather's as well. Took it down from it's hook in the attic after he passed away. He mostly used it to design the 3 houses that he and grandma built together by themselves (one still standing 2 burnt in Santa Barbara fires) I made a board to use it on in woodshop in high school, took drafting too. I still use it to draw things at home and work from time to time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online