Overheating issues while plow is attached

maximus88

Reaction score
My truck usually runs pretty cool to average. Never had an issue all summer with over heating.

Anybody else have problems when the plow is attached? No problems whatsoever without plow attached. How close to the ground do you have the blade when driving. Is my Fan clutch bad? It is pretty fricken cold here 18 F.

Jbevs

IDI Newb
Reaction score
The plow is blocking adequate air flow to the rad. I don't remember how high or low you are supposed to have it for driving.

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
I agree on the fan clutch. But I would advise not to run with the plow any higher that necessary-the higher the plow the more the air is blocked from the radiator.I had plows for over 30 (usually 3 to 5 some driven by hired help--- HELP!!!!) years and cooling was always a concern. I cooked a C6 once when snow filled the grill blocking my trans oil cooler only took a 300ft slow hard push,and it was done.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
If I want to lock it do I just weld it, or is there a way to bolt it?

YOU DO NOT WANT A FULL TIME FAN.

I do not fully agree with the others. I think it is the plow alone causing your problems, not the fan clutch. A friend of mine tows year round w a small block and a 25' gooseneck trailer(grossing 18k+) and it NEVER comes off of cold. As soon as he hooks the plow on, it gets hot. Lower your plow as low as possible, with out scraping the ground. that will fix your over heating issue

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I want to lock it do I just weld it, or is there a way to bolt it?

Can't welt it, it's a steel shaft that goes into an aluminum hub. As for locking it, several members here have some pretty nifty setups, do a search and you'll find some with pictures and such.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Try running the plow lower to the ground. If you leave the pow up to high it will restrict the air flow. When I wanted my plow rig to heat up quickly, I would leave the plow at max height.:D When it was warm enough, I would run the plow about 2" off the ground.:Thumbs Up

maximus88

Reaction score
My buddy told me to run with the plow at an angle. I will try that and also try running her really close to the ground.

94turboidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its hard to believe that at -18 that the plow is going to be a problem. I don't know anything about the plows but I would think you could just about block the radiator clear off at those temps and not overheat. I would look strongly at the rest of the cooling system before I decided it was the plow height.

maximus88

Reaction score
Its hard to believe that at -18 that the plow is going to be a problem. I don't know anything about the plows but I would think you could just about block the radiator clear off at those temps and not overheat. I would look strongly at the rest of the cooling system before I decided it was the plow height.

It was 18F not -18F. I would really be worried if it happened at -18.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
YOU DO NOT WANT A FULL TIME FAN.

I do not fully agree with the others. I think it is the plow alone causing your problems, not the fan clutch. A friend of mine tows year round w a small block and a 25' gooseneck trailer(grossing 18k+) and it NEVER comes off of cold. As soon as he hooks the plow on, it gets hot. Lower your plow as low as possible, with out scraping the ground. that will fix your over heating issue

im with Brad here 100%.;Sweet

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree on the fan clutch. But I would advise not to run with the plow any higher that necessary-the higher the plow the more the air is blocked from the radiator.I had plows for over 30 (usually 3 to 5 some driven by hired help--- HELP!!!!) years and cooling was always a concern. I cooked a C6 once when snow filled the grill blocking my trans oil cooler only took a 300ft slow hard push,and it was done.

you must have bypassed the radiator trans cooler/warmer and ran only the devoted air cooler?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bob123456789