Over heating?

Fordfarmer123

Reaction score
When going up a big hill I have to run 2500rpm and every time I do I end up getting smoke in the cab. The truck gets warmer in the cab... the spot where the shifter comes out of on a standard is hot to the touch.
That's my temp after getting over the hill. Anyone have a idea of what's wrong?

You must be registered for see images attach

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, but the general consensus here is that the stock gauge is fairly worthless. Get an aftermarket gauge with actual numbers. If you are getting smoke in the cab and a hot shifter it does sound like something is amiss....

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well... even on mine, the transmission will definitely get hot to the touch when you are working it.
Not sure if it's all heat from the transmission, or simply due to the fact that the case is aluminum, and heat from the engine will transfer to it as well.

If you have leaked oil and grease, getting the engine hot(in my case, I have to be hauling a trailer to get over 180F or so) will definitely make a lot of crud smoke as it burns off.

That being said... I suspect you have something wrong with your cooling system, like a sticky/broken thermostat. These engines run /really/ cool generally, when you aren't working them - you could drive around empty with a thermostat locked shut and still not overheat, just from the heat transfer otherwise.

I'd probably first replace the thermostat(make sure to use a Motorcraft one); then see how it does after that. Get an electric-sender temp gauge(a digital one is preferable), and hook it up so you can watch the real temps.

Pullet

Reaction score
Check your boots if you're getting smoke in the cab. Bleed speed up hills to not work it so hard. Radiator plugged? Are you empty (what weight?)? I got that hot pulling a heavy trailer up a mountain once, but the shifter was only warm, check transmission and fluids?

Thatoneguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like cooling issues... But definitely get rid of the the stock gauge and get a good aftermarket.

MTKirk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If he's going at speed, the fan doesn't do a lick of good. It could be totally removed and still maintain good temps as long as you are going highway speeds(or over 25 unloaded).
You might think this...but, if you do you're dead wrong. If there is any kind of load on the engine, there is far too little frontal airflow through our trucks, and too restrictive a flow through our rads to get enough airflow without a fan. I know this from vast personal experience :(

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fan sounds lime a 707 started up under your hood...you will know when it kicks in....you wkll hear it for sure.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Look at the shaft on the fan clutch. If you see ANY dirt collecting there that means the seal has failed so oil leaks out attracting the dirt. also use a mirror to check the front side of the clutch for dirt collecting there too.My guess is the clutch has started to tell you its a ghost and needs replacing. Please be sure to purchase an oem clutch. Many of the after market are not very good.

Fordfarmer123

Reaction score
Check my pump today and it was turned way up.... I turned it down like four flats. My fan is spinning not 100 percent sure if it's good though.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You might think this...but, if you do you're dead wrong. If there is any kind of load on the engine, there is far too little frontal airflow through our trucks, and too restrictive a flow through our rads to get enough airflow without a fan. I know this from vast personal experience :(
I... Um... did this? Like... I ran for a full 6 months with no fan(from like December through July). Period.
This was on my tan '88, a couple of years back.
I finally decided I needed a fan again after pulling an empty flatbed trailer 60 miles from my dad's place to where we were filling it with junk; the highway portions were fine, never getting over 205 or so, it was only when I had to idle at lights that it would slowly creep up.
The problem came right at the end when I had to pull it up a gravel road in second going 10-15, up a nice steep hill, then go perhaps 1/2 mile and stop. Temps got into the 215-220 range, which was a little concerning.
I had a digital gauge on it, and was able to watch the temperature at all times. I'm pretty sure it was accurate, because when unloaded, going 60, the temps climb from (cold) to about 185, then bounce in the 180-190 range.

So, yeah... I've done it.

Thatoneguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think much of it depends on the truck itself... While our trucks can be slightly lacking in the flow department, they do tend to naturally run somewhat cool (comparatively speaking.) A truck with a squeaky clean radiator and cooling system could probably get by with no fan when not working super hard. While one in need of a couple flushes, weak water pump, etc... Probably would heat up more even with no load........ So basically you're both probably right.