Outdid a PSD tonight!

bowedup2003

Reaction score
My old 6.9l really shined tonight! One of the guys at work parked his 16' bumperpull w/ a Farmall H on it in his yard and it sank to the frame after the last big rain. They left it there, ground dried, etc and long story short trailer stuck bigtime.

They tried pulling it out w/ a 2002 F450 PSD service truck but couldn't budge it, I offered to give it a try before they broke out the shovels and jacks. I rocked it a few times, felt it move alittle, then poured the coal to it and with all 4 duals spinning out it came with smoke pouring out of the stacks!

I know it all has to do w/ the right balance of weight, horsepower, traction, and momentum but boy did we have it altogether this evening! Everyone around was very impressed w/ my old 6.9l!

Bowedup

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
NICE! I always love to hear stories about these old motors still doing the work of modern trucks.
Your Cummins would have done it at idle though, well not idle, but it doesn't take much for one of those to pull down a house. I love my IDI's but nothing beats a stock tuned 1000hp 6bt motor.

Last edited:

97idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
NICE! I always love to hear stories about these old motors still doing the work of modern trucks.
Your Cummins would have done it at idle though. I love my IDI's but nothing beats a stock tuned 1000hp 6bt motor.

stock tuned 1000hp? whats on it? and i think with the right gear set up a idi could pull 1000hp well maby lol but ide like to have 1000hp!!!!!

bowedup2003

Reaction score
Actually the Cummins wouldn't outpull it in this situation! A few months ago I got my Farmall Super C buried to the frame in our pasture. I automatically grabbed a chain and the Dodge and went to pull it out, but no matter how much I tugged and even ****** on it the Dodge would just spin, never even budged the tractor. I went and got the Ford and hooked up, 2 good yanks and it came right out w/o ever spinning a tire!

The Cummins will kick my Ford's butt pulling a trailer, but the Ford just has the right weight and lugging grunt and it just flat works great for this type of pulling!

As for the propane, I have a Ziggster style homemade setup and it works great! Makes a very noticeable difference in power, but you have to keep an eye on the EGTs...

Bowedup

97idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually the Cummins wouldn't outpull it in this situation! A few months ago I got my Farmall Super C buried to the frame in our pasture. I automatically grabbed a chain and the Dodge and went to pull it out, but no matter how much I tugged and even ****** on it the Dodge would just spin, never even budged the tractor. I went and got the Ford and hooked up, 2 good yanks and it came right out w/o ever spinning a tire!

The Cummins will kick my Ford's butt pulling a trailer, but the Ford just has the right weight and lugging grunt and it just flat works great for this type of pulling!

As for the propane, I have a Ziggster style homemade setup and it works great! Makes a very noticeable difference in power, but you have to keep an eye on the EGTs...

Bowedup

nice!!! i like my truck! and my buddies cummins that i built not 1000hp but it runs 14s in the 1/4 and its a dually we just put 240 f1 sticks and a 71mm turbo, just wating on the billet shafts to hopefully keep the tras togethr this time!;Sweet
any pics of the propane set up? how much psi do u flow into the intake?:dunno

bowedup2003

Reaction score
I don't have any pics of the propane setup but it is super simple. I am using a Propane tank for a BBQ grille, 12v flow valve from an Rv store and a 25psi air regulator mounted to the tank, 3/8" fuel line running to the engine, and a small pipe nipple w/ a bunch of 1/16" holes drilled in it to act as a spray bar. I have the spray bar mounted in the air cleaner just outside of the filter.

As for pressure I am running roughly 18psi on the gauge. The psi reading is w/ the line capped off, otherwise you would see 0psi when activated. There is no set psi for the propane though, I just kept adjusting mine until I started to hear a timing rattle-type sound and then backed it off alittle.

I have mine tied into a pushbutton switch on my shifter handle and I only kick it on when I have it floored. Also makes instant black smoke if you're in to that when riding around town.

Bowedup

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It seems like I have the same luck in pulling people out. A while back I pulled a Freightliner with a loaded trailer that was buried, right out of a ditch. Usually when I have a pull-off with someone, I usually win because for some reason all four tires spin, front and back.

97idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have any pics of the propane setup but it is super simple. I am using a Propane tank for a BBQ grille, 12v flow valve from an Rv store and a 25psi air regulator mounted to the tank, 3/8" fuel line running to the engine, and a small pipe nipple w/ a bunch of 1/16" holes drilled in it to act as a spray bar. I have the spray bar mounted in the air cleaner just outside of the filter.

As for pressure I am running roughly 18psi on the gauge. The psi reading is w/ the line capped off, otherwise you would see 0psi when activated. There is no set psi for the propane though, I just kept adjusting mine until I started to hear a timing rattle-type sound and then backed it off alittle.

I have mine tied into a pushbutton switch on my shifter handle and I only kick it on when I have it floored. Also makes instant black smoke if you're in to that when riding around town.

Bowedup

i have a 12v valve as well and i have a high pressure propane specific regulator that ranges from 1-60 psi ($18 for tractor supply) i think this will work well just havent set it up yet, so did u use hose barbs for the fuel line or something like AN fittings?:dunno

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin