ordered some treadwrights today

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I seem to remember that they use solid "bands" of tread that are sized for each tire diameter. Check their website, I think it tells about it. If not, I think one of the diesel mags did a write-up on them a while back and has it on their site. It was on a white OBS powerstroke, it's a regular in the mag.
Travis..

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
Can someone post a highly focused and clear picture of one of there retreads from treadright? Shouldnt we be able to tell from a picture. I seem to remember seeing one on here and it looked like you could see where its all glued together, but not 100%.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
http://www.treadwright.com/t-Our-Process.aspx I dunno but it seems to be hot capped? ill call tomorrow

The way that reads, it seems to be a typical old-style HOT-cap process.

They color it up with all the "computer" this and that, but the process is still the same.

I don't see how in the world they can "computer balance" a tire , nor what benefit it would be, before it has went through the tread-molding/cooking process. :dunno

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
The plant I was in had a vacuum chamber that each tire when through to vulcanize the tread to the casing, it was some retarded temperature inside and each tire was in a rubber bladder that was pulled down to 30" of vacuum if my mind isn't failing me...LOL

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The plant I was in had a vacuum chamber that each tire when through to vulcanize the tread to the casing, it was some retarded temperature inside and each tire was in a rubber bladder that was pulled down to 30" of vacuum if my mind isn't failing me...LOL

You almost payed attention in 5th-grade science.

29-in. HG is a perfect vacuum.

It is not possible to pull vacuum beyond that.

The most I remember about cap shops is the inferno-like heat and guys working in their TEE-shirts with all the doors open when it was below ZERO outside.

I don't know how they stood it in summer. ;Sweet

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
You almost payed attention in 5th-grade science.

29-in. HG is a perfect vacuum.

It is not possible to pull vacuum beyond that.

The most I remember about cap shops is the inferno-like heat and guys working in their TEE-shirts with all the doors open when it was below ZERO outside.

I don't know how they stood it in summer. ;Sweet

I was close wasn't I....LOL....I had 29 and 30 in my head so I went big....:D....It was friggin hot in there and the stink would be hard to get used to....It was clean as hell too, a very tightly run operation from what I saw.;Sweet

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I will add something to this post... I have had nothing but trouble with Good Year Marathon Special Trailer tires on my horse trailer. They throw tread all the time. I run the max pressure on these D rated tires but it continued till I finally gave up on them. I did a search and found GY was having some problems with these trailer tires.. It was not just me. This happened several years ago. Now about 6 months ago while at the barn I see a brand new Marathon tire in the spare tire rack on a trailer with a large piece of the new tread blown off of it...:eek: This tire never saw the road but blew up just sitting there. It still had the rubber **** on the tread... You might ask how hot it was or how old the tire was... I can't say but I can tell you this... I wont ever own another good year tire... they made a great tire in the late 80s and early 90s. I had a set on my 5th wheel and they finally wore out in the early 2000s never throwing any tread. that trailer weighed about 10500 lbs loaded. those tires were fine but now... Nope... Never again...

Fordman75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will add something to this post... I have had nothing but trouble with Good Year Marathon Special Trailer tires on my horse trailer. They throw tread all the time. I run the max pressure on these D rated tires but it continued till I finally gave up on them. I did a search and found GY was having some problems with these trailer tires.. It was not just me. This happened several years ago. Now about 6 months ago while at the barn I see a brand new Marathon tire in the spare tire rack on a trailer with a large piece of the new tread blown off of it...:eek: This tire never saw the road but blew up just sitting there. It still had the rubber **** on the tread... You might ask how hot it was or how old the tire was... I can't say but I can tell you this... I wont ever own another good year tire... they made a great tire in the late 80s and early 90s. I had a set on my 5th wheel and they finally wore out in the early 2000s never throwing any tread. that trailer weighed about 10500 lbs loaded. those tires were fine but now... Nope... Never again...

Oh wonderful that's the tires on my big car trailer ( load range E though ) .:rolleyes:

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
When you get treadwrights they use caps from different brand tires right, so that means you may end up with 4 different brand caps on your truck correct?

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can someone post a highly focused and clear picture of one of there retreads from treadright? Shouldnt we be able to tell from a picture. I seem to remember seeing one on here and it looked like you could see where its all glued together, but not 100%.

You must be registered for see images attach

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

That is definitely a HOT-cap tire. ;Really

Note the way the new tread comes down onto the side-wall area.

Also, note the presence of "whiskers" and mold flashing; pre-molded COLD-cap tread will lack both. :)

Last edited:

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you get treadwrights they use caps from different brand tires right, so that means you may end up with 4 different brand caps on your truck correct?

You mean "casings"; the cap is the new tread that they put on.

Not all retread companies operate the same, but in many instances, YES, you can end up with four tires with four different brands of casings. ;Really

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance