ordered some treadwrights today

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
... I have had nothing but trouble with Good Year Marathon Special Trailer tires on my horse trailer.

You are not by a long shot the only dis-satisfied customer.

I refuse to stock them and refuse to accept them when some warehouse or another tries to "substitute" them on an order; I would far rather lose a sale by not having them, than to have to eat them a few weeks later, plus losing the confidence of a customer.

Carlisle sadly is no better.

We have by far the best luck with BIAS LT tires on trailers.

Second to BIAS tires, we have decent luck with straight-ribbed LT radials, such as TOYO Open Country HTs.

We also have many repeat customers for the 14-ply LR-G WANLI 7.50-16 tires; you can just keep on pushing big cows into the trailer and these tires will not squat. ;Sweet

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
>>> COLD CAPPING <<<

Here are some examples of COLD-cap treads that are available :

http://www.oliverrubber.com/us/en/traclug.asp

These treads come to the retreader in big rolls; the necessary length is cut from the roll, wrapped around the prepared casing, and glued on.

Note that many of the tread designs are available in varying widths. ;Really

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What are the advantages and disadvantages of both hot and cold capping?

I have seen just as many HOT-caps fail as COLD-caps.

The COLD-cap process is definitely the easier/cheaper of the two, but is obvious to even an idiot that the tire IS a retread; the tread just sits on top of the casing, with the ground off edges of the casing exposed.

The HOT-capped tire in the picture earlier looks more "finished" and would not be quite so noticable to an un-trained eye that it is indeed a recap.

Also, simply due to the fact that the replacement tread extends over the sidewall, HOT-capping is much preferred for off-road traction treads.

Plus, a HOT-cap tire is FAR more flexible than a COLD-cap, thus is the better gripper, especially off-road.

As a general rule, when a COLD-cap fails, it will sling the whole length of tread completely off the casing, usually taking fenders, lights, mud-flaps, and other people's windshields in the process.

Brand new ****** radials will also do this, so one is no better than the other.

HOT-caps often will develop a big air-pocket/bubble between the casing and new tread.

If the constant BUMP---BUMP---BUMP of this air-bubble hitting the ground goes un-heeded, then a big chunk of the tread around the air-pocket will shed off.

In the industry, the terms "retread" and "recap" have the same meaning and DO NOT denote whether the tread is a HOT-cap or COLD-cap; either is a retread and also a recap.

Like I stated earlier, recaps have their place, it's just not on hot blacktop at highway speeds. ;Sweet

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score

I refuse to stock them and refuse to accept them when some warehouse or another tries to "substitute" them on an order; I would far rather lose a sale by not having them, than to have to eat them a few weeks later, plus losing the confidence of a customer.

Second to BIAS tires, we have decent luck with straight-ribbed LT radials, such as TOYO Open Country HTs.

We also have many repeat customers for the 14-ply LR-G WANLI 7.50-16 tires; you can just keep on pushing big cows into the trailer and these tires will not squat. ;Sweet

we run the wanli's on all of our horse trailers. get them for anywhere from $45-$60 each.

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
Where, pray tell, are you getting LR-G WANLIs for such a bargain ?? :dunno

I see you are in CADIZ.

Do you know any of the Grahams of Riverview Charolais ??

One, I think, is a veterinarian in CADIZ. :)

American tire. I think there out of Nashville tn. They may have went up lately. Last I ordered some was a few months ago. Don't think I know of those people.

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
American tire down here has the same wanli's too dirt cheap. i threw them on my car trailer to get rid of the badyears. Seem to be decent so far.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What are the advantages and disadvantages of both hot and cold capping?

One big advantage of Hot capping is that the rubber is actually injected into the mold and there is no ends to glue together like the cold caps. When you see those rubber rings on the road, you can bet there off a tractor trailer rig with cold capped tires on the trailer. Ever hear a semi trailer go thump thump thump thump down the road?

KyleQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got Treadwrights on my 86' - drove very nice down the road. I'm happy with them - here are some pics.

You must be registered for see images attach

Loaded down fairly well with 70PSI -

KyleQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cuz I'm a little jealous :p

Hehe - I put them side by side to my Dad's new A/T's and there is NO difference, I've got no idea how they don't get copyright infringement, but it's a great replica.

Next on the list - Lockright for the 10.25. I HATE one tire fires! :mad:

SVT Contour - Torsen T-2 equipped
F150 - L/S D50 front and L/S 8.8 rear
Bronco - Welded D60 and Welded D70

F350 - Open Open :(

I love traction - I'm thinking lockrights front and rear for this rig.

93turbo_animal

Reaction score

Thats weird cause around here all the trailers come with carlisle on them and I've had 2 sets myself and never a problem with the tires on a tri axle no less. I do have one radial tire on there now and it seems to be wearing much better then the bias tires and is also cooler when I touch the side walls after a trip:dunno

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online