Opinions on possible truck purchase.

MtnHaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's the Clist ad: https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/d/hayward-1993-ford-f250-diesel-low-miles/6836162432.html

I have e-mailed the seller regarding recent repair details. I had only specifically asked about IP, injectors, and clutch/flywheel so that was the info I received, though I did ask about repair history in general.

The seller claims that new IP and injectors were installed about 1k ago and a new clutch with flywheel resurfaced about 10k ago. I'm sure it's still the DMF and who knows what IP/injectors were used. Since no brands were mentioned I kind of assume the seller isn't a "diesel enthusiast". In one of the pics the bed doesn't seem to quite line up with the cab like maybe the rear cab mounts are sagging--I don't know how long that can go before it needs attention, or is it mostly a cosmetic issue at this point. Dash has a small crack. Non-turbo. But the truck only has 150k which is one of the lowest mile IDIs I've seen on Clist. $7500 seems a bit high, but I haven't seen the truck in person and it's a good 2 hour drive away. I have been trying to hold out for a 93-94 factory turbo but I've only seen 4 on Clist in the last 9 months and that's looking between Portland and southern california--and they were all automatics which I just don't feel confident in. I know an auto can be made good and maintained to last but I really like manuals. This is probably because my first truck was an auto and it blew up less than two weeks after I bought it, C-6.

The seller keeps re-posting his ad every day or two so they seem eager to get rid of it, kind of a red flag but not necessarily. I'm just curious what your initial reaction is going off the pics and bit of info I added. Thanks.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Couple things I’ve noticed in the pics is the hood doesn’t line up on the driver side but it looks fine on the passenger side. Looks like a dent under the half window on the driver side and another on the passenger quarter. Tailgate and rear bumper are pretty rough and for a base model xl truck with no options that’s a pretty steep price even with the money they recently put into it. You also have to wonder why they dropped so much money on a truck and then posted it for sale a thousand miles later.

nj_m715

government's finest
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you probably already know, but most cheap ip and injectors are complete junk, might want to find out exactly what was installed

MtnHaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
dang Wes, the resolution must suck on my laptop 'cuz I did not even notice those dents but now that I look closer you are absolutely correct. The main reason I was interested was that the body looked relatively straight but I can see now that I was mistaken. And the hood escaped my eye as well. Thanks for the critical looks.

MtnHaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Prices for everything are pretty high where I live. I see 2nd gen dodges with a manual and clean body with 150k or less go fast at 16k-17k, automatics just sit even when advertised as heavy duty rebuilt. Admittedly Powerstrokes are starting to look better and better as I see them sit for a long time even with low miles. I'm guessing a lot of folks don't want to deal with the cost of injector/HPOP replacement and that the HP seekers are looking for something else.

IDI87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Prices for everything are pretty high where I live. I see 2nd gen dodges with a manual and clean body with 150k or less go fast at 16k-17k, automatics just sit even when advertised as heavy duty rebuilt. Admittedly Powerstrokes are starting to look better and better as I see them sit for a long time even with low miles. I'm guessing a lot of folks don't want to deal with the cost of injector/HPOP replacement and that the HP seekers are looking for something else.
Im in socal and the aeronose are always higher than a brick or bull. You can literally put a pair of twin trucks for sale the only difference being ones a 91 and ones a 92. And the 92 theyll try and get 2000+ more for it. Like its a powerstroke or something.

Sent from my LM-X220 using Tapatalk

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was just looking on the phone, but I buy so many of these things I guess I just have a keen eye for imperfections to talk sellers down to what I want to pay haha

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would you be opposed to buying out of state? For the money for a plane ticket I think you would save a lot not buying in Cali, I know the Texas market pretty well and that truck here would sell for 2500 plus or minus some. I know there’s other rust free areas that don’t have as inflated prices like Cali

MtnHaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Out of state is an option if the truck is exactly what I'm looking for--clean & straight body, manual, 4x4, SuperCab F250, '93-'94 factory turbo. I've never owned a clean vehicle with nice/decent paint and an interior that was clean as well. I love beaters because you need not fear bushes, shopping carts, or careless loaders at the rock yard, but it's time for something nice. So patiently I will wait and look for that right rig.