Opinions on oil

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is your secret I'm good to about -15*f without plugging in but I have tried at -40* an after 2 trys I gave up plugged It in and went in for a few hours also I run 15-40 all year regardless and every diesel I have ever worked with runs 15-40 all year at the mine I work at the cat haul trucks it recommend 15-40 all year and we had several nigjts that we're over -40*
I'm going to guess that the 5W-40 synthetic oil is part of the secret. It helps the engine turn over a little faster. Good glow plugs help, too, I'm sure.

IDI_Journeyman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So all that being said, since it doesn’t get colder than about 20F where I live I can run 15W-40 year round? I couldn’t even imagine -40 weather. Gotta be the one good thing about living in central commifornia is the weather :Thumbs Up

Also has anyone on here used Mythik diesel oil?

Black dawg

Reaction score
What is your secret I'm good to about -15*f without plugging in but I have tried at -40* an after 2 trys I gave up plugged It in and went in for a few hours also I run 15-40 all year regardless and every diesel I have ever worked with runs 15-40 all year at the mine I work at the cat haul trucks it recommend 15-40 all year and we had several nigjts that we're over -40*

5w40 does help a bunch, makes them start pretty easily down to 0 degrees. -15 to -20 has been (actual engine temp) when things start to get pretty difficult. Curious if that -40 start was in sustained -40 (engine actually at minus 40) or the air temp just got that cold when the sun came up.

rwk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here in MI 5-40 syn. or 10-30 in the winter, rarely gets over 40 for months, think owners manual states 10-30 when below 32 for extended periods, your fine with 15-40 year round, we always plug in! 10 deg. this morning!

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Black Dawg, we haven't had -40 as a daytime high this winter, but it's an overnight low every winter. Even as a nighttime low, it stays that cold plenty long for everything to equilibrate. We usually get cold with clear skies, so exposed objects are likely to get slightly colder than air temp.

Black dawg

Reaction score
Black Dawg, we haven't had -40 as a daytime high this winter, but it's an overnight low every winter. Even as a nighttime low, it stays that cold plenty long for everything to equilibrate. We usually get cold with clear skies, so exposed objects are likely to get slightly colder than air temp.

Man I am glad it doesn't get that cold here. Had a truck that seemed super inconsistent starting in relation to temperature, so I started checking the engine temp with a temp gun. Many times an overnight low of -15 with highs 0-10deg, engine was at about 0 deg. This is shut off around 7 pm and started at 6am.

IDI_Journeyman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I saw that this morning when I went to Napa, it was tempting but i ended up buying 15W-40 Rotella. I noticed my truck was drinking a little bit of oil, maybe half a quart over 3000 miles. maybe because the 5W-40 was thinner...

Kizer

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On additives: I, personally, would recommend some brand of fuel additive/treatment. From what I've read, these fuel systems rely on the viscosity of the fuel for lubrication ... today's diesel is not very viscus.
I use Lucas Fuel Treatment and their "oil stabilizer" ... works well in my trucks. I can hear the difference in my trucks when I don't use fuel additive.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
but you can take the oil fill cap off while the engine is running (hot or cold, no difference) and you'll see zero blowby
That's because all the blowby is getting sucked into the CDR. Pull the air cleaner with it idling and look down the intake. You'll see a large stream of blowby from the CDR(rear center of intake manifold) going forward and into the cylinders.

On additives: I, personally, would recommend some brand of fuel additive/treatment. From what I've read, these fuel systems rely on the viscosity of the fuel for lubrication ... today's diesel is not very viscus.
Today's fuel from the refinary doesn't lubricate well enough; when you buy it from the station, however, additives(often including biodiesel) are added to increase the lubricity and cetane.

Kizer

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Today's fuel from the refinary doesn't lubricate well enough; when you buy it from the station, however, additives(often including biodiesel) are added to increase the lubricity and cetane.

I didn't realize that anything was added, between the refinery and the fuel station.
Thank you.
Who (which entity) is the middle man in that process?

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't realize that anything was added, between the refinery and the fuel station.
Thank you.
Who (which entity) is the middle man in that process?
Here's one tidbit, on winterized/blended fuel: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=21441

Here's an article: https://www.proboat.com/2018/04/diesel-fuel-additives-part-2-lubricity-facts-and-fictions/
Of note there is that additives are added "at the rack"/fuel terminal - I'm guessing when the semi trucks are loaded?

Also of note is that high-pressure fuel systems(common rail) require much more from the fuel than our old low-pressure rigs. So if the modern trucks are doing fine, we probably won't have issues either.

Kizer

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's one tidbit, on winterized/blended fuel: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=21441

Here's an article: https://www.proboat.com/2018/04/diesel-fuel-additives-part-2-lubricity-facts-and-fictions/
Of note there is that additives are added "at the rack"/fuel terminal - I'm guessing when the semi trucks are loaded?

Also of note is that high-pressure fuel systems(common rail) require much more from the fuel than our old low-pressure rigs. So if the modern trucks are doing fine, we probably won't have issues either.

Thank you.

Gr8ful

Reaction score
I use Rotella 15-40 in my last month they made em 12 valve Cummins & my '93 7.3 IDI & leave the IDI plugged in. I take care of both as I hate anything with computers made to go bad so keeping these for a long time.

raydav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have used nothing but full synthetic since the mid seventies. I have been using Rotella T6 since shortly after I got the IDI, and immediately after I got the 2001 PSD. After cornering every oil company at SEMA for two years regarding flat valve lifters in gas engines, I now use T6 in everything - I currently have six vehicles that run. None of them use enough oil to count. My original IDI was not using oil when I replaced the engine. Oil is the smallest part of total operational cost, no point in going cheap.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online