Opinions on compressor wheel

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
O.K. I took some pictures of the compressor wheel and housing from my turbo. The housing shows no signs of contact with the compressor ever. No shiny or polished looking areas or material transfer as if the wheel had been contacting it. The wheel however looks worn to me. I do not know what the shape of the edge of the compressor blades are supposed to look like but I feel the compressor needs to be replaced. What are your thoughts if any?

You must be registered for see images attach

Also this thing has less play in it than my other turbo (on car)did new. Spins very smoothly too although I don't want to spin it much off the engine due to no oil.

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it aint broke dont fix it. I bought a new turbo to replace mine only to find out the brand new one has the same play as the 200K mile one. I think yours looks ok. I'm not an expert on this, but if it were mine, I'd run it.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That looks like a good compressor wheel. When I rebuilt my 2000 PSD turbo mine was dusted pretty bad and razor sharp on all of the edges....

Ask GEO how sharp it was, sliced through the leather gloves like butter and bit him good-cuss

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The wheel isn't sharp but the profile on the edges seems to me to be worn. It also seems to have too much gap between the wheel and housing but I don't really know what it's supposed to be on this unit so it could be fine and I'm just looking for problems that aren't there.

I'm liking what I'm hearing so far though.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Talk to type4, he's a pro at these turbos. But if you ask me that turbo is fine. You really got an awesome deal on that thing!

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Run it, the wheel is ok, I have one on a buddys truck that should not have been used but he had NO money and its been working for 2 yrs.

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Run it, the wheel is ok, I have one on a buddys truck that should not have been used but he had NO money and its been working for 2 yrs.

;Sweet Maybe I'll get this installed sooner than I thought. I was shooting for 2 months (busy with work and have an engine replacement to do on my car when I get back to Virginia) but I might try to get it done before I leave Texas.

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let me know what you decide to do. I'm a bit of a drive but I have torches, welders, and just about every tool that would be needed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle