Opinion needed on replacement of engine

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay now.
I picked up a rebuilt crate engine.
It went ****.
Sounded like a rod bearing?
Upon tear down I found the valve cover baffle broke off the inside and was bouncing off the valve train.
That scratches the oil pump and the oil cooler. My valve cover is my problem and my responsibility.
That kind of possibly voids the warranty when your valve cover fails.
Further tear down shows an oil squirter aimed at the bottom of the piston, aimed towards the wrist pin/ connecting rod, was inside the oil pick up. I suspect it was either mis-installed by the re-builder or had a crank dropped on it during install. Not enough room in there to reach it without a tear down.
NOW.
The question is
(A) Send it back to the re-builder in New Jersey?
(B) Send it out to a local machine shop?

Going back to Jersey should/might start a 3 year warranty all over again. Now they are also offering an additional 2 years on their engines.

The re--builder in Jersey appears to use an assembly line to the rebuild process.
Locally is a one man show with substantially a much better quality control.

Taking this engine out again in the future is not something I desire to do.
Funny part is the Allison trans planned for this machine is supposed to be a million mile unit.
The engine is supposed to be a million mile unit.
Guess i would be happy to get 150,000
Actually 6,000 miles on the last drive train was a bit miserable.
So, (A) or (B) ?

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Honestly i would contact the rebuilder first. Yes… you had a valve cover problem, but that didn’t make the oil squirter fall out…. Worst they could say is no……

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Talk to Promar.

Also, what does this mean when you said.. It was bouncing around inside the valve cover "That scratches the oil pump and the oil cooler."

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"Scratches" the oil pump and cooler meaning it wipes them out. The fine metal particles going through a pump is not a good thing and apparently the oil goes through the cooler before getting to the filter. That would also kill the cooler for installation on another engine.

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know it's a crappy time and situation for you currently but I looked through 5ish of your recent threads and can't figure out exactly why you are saying the engine is toast? Just cause metal was banging our under the valve covers doesn't mean it's ruined but interested why you pulled it.

The oil cooler doesn't work like that you didn't wipe it out from metal going through.
I read your squirter situation..

Promar made a mistake with the squirter so call them first. Gotta make one step at a time.
The next step is dependent on what they say.

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The engine currently has a fine coat of very small metal particles throughout the internal block on al surfaces.The busted oiler is just the icing on the top. I was planning on doing it myself but the oiler adds another concept to it that marginally justifies sending it back to Promar for a look see.
Hopefully less than another $4K price tag.
I am now waiting for a few other parts to show up and it will get crated and sent off with a new Sealed power oil pump, a girdle and some Felpro gaskets. Now with a girdle and head studs, already installed, the next engine might get out of warranty.
As for the oil cooler, at this point, $285 is cheap insurance.