Open Differential

Swany

Consiglieri
Reaction score
Originally posted by jharvey
I forgot to mention that included swapping the axle seals and bearings. Both places said something about having to re-set the gears and that cost a little more. I don't know so I need all the help I can get

Thanks

John

That being said, take it to a shop where it will be guaranteed, if you jack something up, it will probably cost you double if you'd had a good shop do it in the first place. Installing a locker can be a bear if you aren't a pretty good wrencher.

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey,

Look into a Detroit "Tru-Trac" locker. It's an all gear/worm gear actuated locker that is the best locker I've ever seen.

It makes little or no noise around turns, but once you need it in mud or snow, it locks up really nice & quiet. Both wheels turn with full power.

It's not overly expensive and it works great.

5 years on my F-450 with ~400RWHP and no problems.

Blows through mud like a champ. I promise you you won't be disappointed. Got mine for ~$750 installed.

jlayne

Bondo Bandito
Reaction score
Originally posted by Duke
$750 installed.

Thats a fair price.. I would tell them where they could put $1200 find somebody that knows what they are doing AND wants your business

Ramprat

Inside your OODA
Reaction score
We paid almost $550 for the Detroit Locker & installation along with new bearings, seals/gear lube.

Every once in a while after turning a corner the back end of the truck BANGS when the gears mesh togeather & it almost feels like we got slamed into by a VW. I've been told that this is normal if you have a slush box instead of a 5sp you would not notice it nearly as much.

Love the locker & it's proven it's worth time & time again 4 wheeling. In Moab (EJS99) we went places jeeps & other modified trucks could not & part of that was the locker.

However, on ice/thin snow they suck.

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, you're right. They tend to "screw" the back of the truck across the ice sideways. Real scary in the hands of a novice.

Best option is the ARB in both diffs. I have ARB up front & Tru-Trac in the rear. It was the most I could afford.

Most people don't believe it, but open rears or a open front & lmtd slip in rear in a 4 WD truck make a great plowing truck.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online