Open Differential

jharvey

Shutter Bug
Reaction score
Ok I have HAD IT with this open differential in my truck, power to one wheel blows big time :mad: What's the best most economical way to get power to both rear wheels? ARB Air Locker or Detroit Electronic Locker?

{Rant On}
If I ever get my hands on the enjuneer or bean counter that decided to put this diff in these trucks made for haulin stuff I will hang them upside down and beat them severley about their personals :shoot: :shoot:
{Rant Off}

John

Roland_Jenkins

Señor Member
Reaction score
What's the best most economical way to get power to both rear wheels?

Price wise
Lincoln locker.
Detroit locker
ARB

Only named the ones I have first hand experience with. Really depends on what your needs are. My personal preference is a DL for the rear but some folks hate them.

jlayne

Bondo Bandito
Reaction score
The limited slip from ford isn't any better so stay away from that!! my old V10 crew cab ate 2 of them under warranty. If you can stand it on the road the cheapest is a Detoit but you will get alot of attention on a parking lot with the tires chirping and the locker clicking (which is normal). If you can afford it go with the ARB air locker they are the best in my opinion. Or if your really broke just weld the thing up, but that will make all kinds of noise on the pavement and most likely will make the truck turn like crap in tight turns... but hey it works. I agree with RJ

ISurvivedNMU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
UP,
Jack the rear of the truckk up, spin the rear tire, and look if the other is spinning in the same direction, or opposite.. Same direction, you have a L/S, opposite your open... Its an option on these trucks.

jlayne

Bondo Bandito
Reaction score
look at the rear diff. tag if it has a 3L73 you have 3.73 gears and a limited diff vs. 3 73 for just a open diff. the same goes for 4.10's some just have a L in them if it has a factory Limited slip diff.... and if you still can figure it out take your truck nail the skinny pedal and if she leaves 1 black mark you have a open diff or a L/S with worn out clutches, if it leaves 2 black marks you have a working L/S

Ramprat

Inside your OODA
Reaction score
Detroit locker is the way to go ifin you ask me:D :D

It was the 1st thing I added after getting stuck in the front yard when we lived in Minot ND. Seems the truck did not like to go thrugh bumper deep snow worth a crap & the Detroit locker fixed that problem;p ;p ;p

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by upnorth
HEY

I just bought a '97 F-250 XLT is it L/S or Open?

uppy,

Look at your axle code (like was already suggested) and compare it to the following chart.

Ford Axle Codes

jharvey

Shutter Bug
Reaction score
O-tay gang...thanks for the input, how hard is it to install the Detroit? I'm fairly mechanical or is this best left to a shop?

John

Ramprat

Inside your OODA
Reaction score
Originally posted by jharvey
O-tay gang...thanks for the input, how hard is it to install the Detroit? I'm fairly mechanical or is this best left to a shop?

John

I had mine done down in Denver at **** Cepek's shop. He actually gave me one hell of a great deal on it & that included installing it.

For some strange reason they guys in the shop were rather nice when they realized I really knew **** Cepek:D :D

Pacific

Gravel Rat
Reaction score
Your other option is a Lockrite (lunch box locker) they are cheaper to buy and supposidly able to install by a home mechanic.

The arb is pricey I looked into it for another F-Superduty (450) I also looked into Detroit locker and I also looked into Detroit Truetrac which is a all gear limited slip.

If your truck is a 2wd srw it is a pain in the *** to get stuck my truck is 2wd it takes alot of wheel spinning. The company I work for their truck is a 2wd gasser 3/4 ton I got stuck in it the other day what a PITA. The 3/4 ton P/U has more traction problems than my 450.

Keep in mind nothing beats 4wheeldrive its amazing what that extra tire pulling while the rear tire pushes.

jlayne

Bondo Bandito
Reaction score
usless you a familiar with working on rear ends I would take it somewhere... but its not that bad, only expensive if you booger it up

jharvey

Shutter Bug
Reaction score
Called a couple of places and best price on a Detroit C series locker installed was 1200 smackers, does this sound about right?

John

jharvey

Shutter Bug
Reaction score
I forgot to mention that included swapping the axle seals and bearings. Both places said something about having to re-set the gears and that cost a little more. I don't know so I need all the help I can get

Thanks

John

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online