One of those people

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Yes, if getting an irregular burn pattern, blue can be fuel ( black comes from *excess* fuel across the board), and to make things really weird, white can be injection timing, not just coolant.

Like my dear departed Grandmother used to say, there is no excuse for poor manners :backoff Until the internet came around, I never knew that there were so many young people stuck sitting around in their mother's basements with nothing better to do than behave poorly LOL

Agreed, retarded timing with worn injectors can cause significant blueish colored smoke...This was my 6.9 before I changed the pump and injectors, the original pump was really retarded on the timing. With the new pump, injectors and a smidge of advanced timing - zero blue smoke.;Sweet

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yo3TKSVYCHQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEfzp1c_wG4

gatorman21218

Reaction score
Thanks. Yeah that is really something there. a real piece of work. I find it really interesting that some people consider themselves experts in one field (such as gas engines), and then feel as though they are experts in other fields as well (diesel). "Well ive worked on gas engines all my life so who are you to tell me im wrong about diesels". The color of the exhaust is a great example of how different these engines are. If your 460 is blowing blue smoke then your rings are no longer touching the cylinder wall. However on a diesel blue smoke probably that one or more injectors are ******* fuel instead of misting it.

Heck on our boat we had twin Detroit Diesel 6-71Ts and those monsters each burned about a quart an hour of running. Think about how much oil that is to burn/leak. And guess what, there was no blue smoke. See diesels can convert oil directly into noise without any smoke.

And one more thought. I have burned up to 30% waste motor oil (15w-40). No difference in smoke what so ever. Shoot try adding 30 percent kerosene to a gas engine and see what difference that makes.

I know i'm preaching to the choir here but feel free to convey these ideas along to old knowitall.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
Thanks. Yeah that is really something there. a real piece of work. I find it really interesting that some people consider themselves experts in one field (such as gas engines), and then feel as though they are experts in other fields as well (diesel). "Well ive worked on gas engines all my life so who are you to tell me im wrong about diesels". The color of the exhaust is a great example of how different these engines are. If your 460 is blowing blue smoke then your rings are no longer touching the cylinder wall. However on a diesel blue smoke probably that one or more injectors are ******* fuel instead of misting it.

Heck on our boat we had twin Detroit Diesel 6-71Ts and those monsters each burned about a quart an hour of running. Think about how much oil that is to burn/leak. And guess what, there was no blue smoke. See diesels can convert oil directly into noise without any smoke.

And one more thought. I have burned up to 30% waste motor oil (15w-40). No difference in smoke what so ever. Shoot try adding 30 percent kerosene to a gas engine and see what difference that makes.

I know i'm preaching to the choir here but feel free to convey these ideas along to old knowitall.

I think i will post this up over at the .org.

EDIT: Just posted it!

Last edited:

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
He may not be coming back. After your PM he either is too embarrassed and feels about an inch tall or he is off somewhere else patching up his ego with other know it alls.

Butcherman

Reaction score
I think you should have refered him to Pirate 4x4. They would have had alot of fun with him.:sly

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726