One Bad Ass Diesel Hot Rod!

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
trackspeeder, any real respectable detroit man would know enough to put old coffee cans under the air box drains :)

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, this doesn't have the "bussen' dozen" but I can't get over the look if this one:

You must be registered for see images attach

Looks like vintage 1930s science fiction;Sweet

Alex S

Jeoff
Reaction score
cool but i call BS on the engine temp beeping very very finicky and impotent i know its bad to way over heat them but they built them to take a beating and were found in buses (well the 6V) and trucks where people drove them at WOT up hills in the Arizona heat all day and in the Alaska winters, Im sure they can handle a little more variance in temps

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
cool but i call BS on the engine temp beeping very very finicky and impotent i know its bad to way over heat them but they built them to take a beating and were found in buses (well the 6V) and trucks where people drove them at WOT up hills in the Arizona heat all day and in the Alaska winters, Im sure they can handle a little more variance in temps

And when you consider those engines were pretty popular in Australia for trucks pulling trains in the outback ( I don't know the total, but it's at least 3-5+ 48ft trailers behind one tractor), I'd say your suspicions are correct

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
we keel cool our engines, so technically using the biggest radiator in the world.
The engine temps are still 155incoming, 180 outgoing.
The problem is two stroke have very high coolant temps in the cylinder head.... It is a trade off, Egt's might only run 550-650 at full load.
But Detroits also have a bazillion different injector sizes to help limit fueling

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Well, this doesn't have the "bussen' dozen" but I can't get over the look if this one:

Looks like vintage 1930s science fiction;Sweet

If you take a look at the second pic, there is no Turbo on the motor, that is how the car was when he bought it. On the first pic you see a turbo, and there is one on the other side as well. he droped the car off a Banks where Gale and the crew did a little work on it,

Check out the video here:

http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/video/video_player.shtml?vid=188026

Here is one of my favorites of his collection,..but just remember, I am a little different!

http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/video/video_player.shtml?vid=188042

sassyrel

Reaction score
side talk. did you know--that ford built a overhead cam ENGINE, for the tank in the last period of ww2??? and it went from drawing board to drive--in just under 3 months ??? guys that drove them, loved them. theyd haul mail!! allll aluminum block and heads, somewhere around 1170 cu in!!!! v8!! seen one in mn on a early puller tractor. he went from 1 carb, to 2, then to 2 turbos!!!!! a chrysler engineer helped him with that. they were blowthro, like the 79 mustang 4 cyl pacecar--said he NEVER got beat. and only hung it up, when the rules mandated roll cages.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
side talk. did you know--that ford built a overhead cam ENGINE, for the tank in the last period of ww2??? and it went from drawing board to drive--in just under 3 months ??? guys that drove them, loved them. theyd haul mail!! allll aluminum block and heads, somewhere around 1170 cu in!!!! v8!! seen one in mn on a early puller tractor. he went from 1 carb, to 2, then to 2 turbos!!!!! a chrysler engineer helped him with that. they were blowthro, like the 79 mustang 4 cyl pacecar--said he NEVER got beat. and only hung it up, when the rules mandated roll cages.

1100 cui!!!:love:

1000 ft lbs of torque from idle to 2600 rpm. Maximum rated horsepower was 525@2800 rpm.:eek:

I think Jay says it best for the mileage on the beastly engines fuel consumption.... Smiles per gallon!

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you take a look at the second pic, there is no Turbo on the motor, that is how the car was when he bought it. On the first pic you see a turbo, and there is one on the other side as well. he droped the car off a Banks where Gale and the crew did a little work on it,

Check out the video here:

http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/video/video_player.shtml?vid=188026

Here is one of my favorites of his collection,..but just remember, I am a little different!

http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/video/video_player.shtml?vid=188042

So thats what Gale Banks looks like. Yeah I have a certain respect for sleepers too. It wasn't really my intention, but my truck ended up being one. Looks like crap, drives like hell.LOL

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
I LIKE IT!!!

Nothing says RAWR!!! LIKE A 12-PACK Jimmy with zoomies.

That would have fit right in, at the KKOA Leadsleds Spectacular, in Salina.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7