On board air

Classicfordguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm hoping to start the onboard air project in a few days. I have a spare compressor that I can use but I'm not sure which one it is. There is york and tecumseh (spelling) one is cast iron and one is cast aluminum, I think the one I have is cast iron. Which one is which? Will the cast iron one work or is the aluminum one better?

Also, you guys who have done it, what kind of pressure switch did you use to turn off the clutch when you reached pressure?

Thanks,

-Rob

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
you can do some searching for OBA (On Board Air) setups, tons of Jeep guys have done this with York compressors because you dont need to add a oiler like you do with a Sanden compressor. I dont know anything about the Tecuseh ones (thought they were just lawn mowers?).

i think my friend has this switch, but anything similer should do.
Viair 85-105 PSI pressure switch: $20

I can check to see if my york is aluminum or steel tonight, installing that is all the farther i got on my Jeep so far

87crewdually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed OBA on my Samurai. Here is a link for a schematic any info that should help you with your system. http://www.kilbyenterprises.com/faq.htm

I also use a solenoid to automatically bump the throttle up to 2800rpm to build pressure quicker. I have it set at 160psi max/ 125 low. Good luck, any other ?'s just ask.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont know anything about the Tecuseh ones (thought they were just lawn mowers?).

There used to be a Tecumseh factory, in Somerset, KY, that built compressors.

It closed down many years ago, when I was a pup.

subway

Reaction score

There used to be a Tecumseh factory, in Somerset, KY, that built compressors.

It closed down many years ago, when I was a pup.

AAaaahhhh, thanks

I looked at my york compresors last night and they all are aluminum. if they havent made tecumseh's in a long time i would tend to shy away from them the yorks are redily availible and cheep.

Classicfordguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, kilbyenterprises seems to have all the small parts you would ever need to set up a system but they must be made out of gold, guess they're making money.

Anyone know if there is another place to get a one way valve?

Also, what vehicles should I look in to find a york compressor? From what I read the larger displacement yorks are better but what vehicles would have them?

Is there a way to test the clutch using a battery or something befor strip a compressor out of a car?

Thanks for the info,

-Rob

subway

Reaction score
almost any ford truck or large car, jeep or volvo from the mid 70's through the 80's with ac should have a york compressor in them. i believe they are all basically the same but can be mounted at different angles. the output is stamped on the tag and this page will help you identify the numbers.

http://www.jedi.com/obiwan/jeep/york_id.html

i dont know which ones were the higher output ones though, but unless you are really planning on using it hard i dont think it will make much difference. as far as checking the clutch all you have to do is connect 12v to the wire going to the clutch. you should hear a solid click and see the front flex in. that will tell you the solinoid is good but unless you put it in a vehicle and load it i dont know of a way to check to make sure the clutch dousent slip besides visaully making sure it dousnt look to bad.

-a side note make sure you get the hoses directly off of the compressor, they have there own special threads.

Classicfordguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds good, thanks for the link, guess I need to plan a trip to the junk yard. Does it matter if I get left or right hand compressor?

I was looking in the engine compartment today, I have a serpentine belt setup and it looks like I have more room and easier mounting points for a custom bracket on the alternator (pass side) of the engine. Is it going to work alright if I run the comressor off a pully I weld the the alternator pully? My concern is the amount of surface area of the alternator pully, will the added compressor be too much resistance and make the belt slip? There is a good amount of wrap on the pully so I Would think it would be alright.

-Rob

subway

Reaction score
as far as i know welding a pulley on should be fine (just make sure it is aligned), in fact i beleave that is how the kits are set up because most all vehicles from the mid eighties or so went to the serp belt and most all the yorks are v-belt. the rotation of the pump dousent matter and orientation of the housing dosent really seem to matter either with the pump. if you poke around the link it has some spec sheets explaining this.

if you wanted to try to keep the serp belt i have seen people machine down a york double pulley or you could get a pulley set up from a 83 302 mustang from a parts store.