Old vs. new PS pump

hexpheen

Reaction score
Dear IDI'ers,

I'm swapping a 94 F350 IDIT into a 88 E350.

The PS pumps are different, and the newer motor is a serp. belt system. I was going to move the serp. pulley over to the old pump - as I have the correct PS lines for that pump and their length is for the '88 chassis. Unfortunately, the serp. pulley shaft diameter is smaller than the old pump shaft. The pressure line for the old PS pump isn't the same thread as the 94 PS pump (too small).

Should I just buy the 1994 F350 PS pressure line and not worry about the extra length? Is there a thread adaptor that is supposed to go into the PS pump housing?

Also, I got a new vac pump - but didn't want to pull the new pulley just to install the serp. plate (holding in picture below) - will omitting this plate lead to serp. belt issues?

Thanks,
hex

You must be registered for see images attach

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Whatevery you do please do it now. Any working in this area later is not pleasant as you probably know.That guide bracket really is not needed but seeing you have it my suggestion is do what makes you feel good.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Yes, you're missing the piece that goes into the side of the ps pump. IIRC' there's another part that is has a spring behind it that the missing fitting holds in. That's probably gone. For some reason, Ford used the "Delco-Remy", as I call it, style of ps pumps in these vans and they are completely different. There may be clearance issues with the style that's on the "94 engine. I'd either use the V belt setup or buy the pump for the later vans with the serpentine setup. I can't remember if they ever used a serpentine setup on IDI powered vans or not. Vans tended to be get updated technology later than the trucks.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, you're missing the piece that goes into the side of the ps pump. IIRC' there's another part that is has a spring behind it that the missing fitting holds in. That's probably gone. For some reason, Ford used the "Delco-Remy", as I call it, style of ps pumps in these vans and they are completely different. There may be clearance issues with the style that's on the "94 engine. I'd either use the V belt setup or buy the pump for the later vans with the serpentine setup. I can't remember if they ever used a serpentine setup on IDI powered vans or not. Vans tended to be get updated technology later than the trucks.

And us truck guys buy up the van power steering setup any time we can find them because the Saginaw pumps used in the vans put out more pressure than the ones in the trucks. If you want to find a pulley for the old pump, see if your local parts store has any for an 88-98 Chevrolet c/k truck. Doesn't matter what engine, all years were serpentine. The shaft size could possibly still be different, but that's the same pump GM used so it might be worth a shot.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also, the threads are the same between the two pumps, but the actual fitting is different. Not sure what the truck pump fitting is called but it seals completely different than the o-ring fitting on the vans... Unless you have the older inverted flare on your van which is different still and probably has different threads too.

hexpheen

Reaction score
Thanks guys.

And here I thought I lucked out yesterday when I noticed the old PS pump had a threaded adapter on it as well. I took that off the old pump and it threaded into the new pump (after compressing the internal spring plate). The adapter from the old pump did have a o-ring that seemed to be in good condition. I figured I'd try it out and see if it works without leaking all over the place.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When you **** that serpentine.in the middle of a trip and can go nowhere because of it you will wish you stayed v belts.
Case in point, I just had to rescue my friend because the alt bearing siezed and ate the belt, if he would have had v belt he would have made it to work on time.

No serp for me ,ever.

hexpheen

Reaction score
If he had v-belt and alt. bearing seized, then he wouldn't be able to spin the vac. pump too, unless he didn't have A/C and had the larger v-belt for the PS and vac - he might've made it to work but with manual brakes it would've been a helluva ride!

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you **** that serpentine.in the middle of a trip and can go nowhere because of it you will wish you stayed v belts.
Case in point, I just had to rescue my friend because the alt bearing siezed and ate the belt, if he would have had v belt he would have made it to work on time.

No serp for me ,ever.

I agree. But serpentine belts win in all other categories. They are more compact/take up less space. They can transfer more power with less tension. That means they can drive a 130 amp 3G alternator properly.

But like you, I have hauled too many stranded vehicles because of a non-critical component failing like the clutch on a A/C compressor.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's a 5 speed and he's a logger first, I'm not sure he even uses brakes.

That said, I think the alt bearings are too light for our trucks.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree. But serpentine belts win in all other categories. They are more compact/take up less space. They can transfer more power with less tension. That means they can drive a 130 amp 3G alternator properly.

But like you, I have hauled too many stranded vehicles because of a non-critical component failing like the clutch on a A/C compressor.

I have found with a new or very good pulley and a gates green stripe or other HD belt they will drive a 130 amp alt with no issue. I have 2 trucks so equipped.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
saginaw pump shafts can be had in different lengths...i took a different approach and converted my ford c2 pump mount to saginaw after never finding the correct van bracket. works a treat but I need a different pulley, I'm using the same lines and pulley from the ford pump IIRC, works a treat and I can swap back if the saggy ever fails. It was a mad science experiment that worked out great, steering is worlds better now.

I took pix in an old thread but i dont recall where :angel: