Old style banks air filter won't fit

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
does the p.n. match the housing stamping?,,, then make sure that the new one drops into the 2 grooves/ raised ridges/ locator lines,in the pressure chamber floor and lid,, top and bottom...
get the bottom in first as ya can see it, then set the top on and lightly bang on it with yer fist and it will walk around till it drops down on the filter,, worked fer me when I put in the new one.e

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gale and crew are purty good with tech once ya get thru...
did they give you an answer as to why it would not fit. the first run pressure housing had a shorter filter.
just curious

Trying my best

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went though jegs, one of the sales guys got to talk to someone from banks, the gut told me that I had the right one but, it didn't fit. Maybe it is me, but I couldn't get it to fit.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Banks told me the filter was made just for them...probably a story. there are part #'s inside. i think i paid $60 from banks

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I seem to recall at some point reading that there are 2 different heigths of air boxes - something like 3" & 3 1/2"??? IIRC, very early units were one shorter? Might be the source of your problem.....

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you remove the intake hose you can mount most 4" intake cone filters off the box. Ran mine that way a few years until i fabbed a better setup

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ats hat and a little piece of 2" od aluminum pipe to make the angle right. Then straight 4" with filter and arm to support it to the turbo. Only two clamps and a bolt to take ot off instead of a dozen bolts and a few hard to reach clamps. Also gained a boost port for my gauge.

Tyrbo spools a lot better now, you can hear it better too

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Someones truck burned down so they sold it to me on here. You can find burnt out turbos with pipes and hats on craigslist or ebay or throw an ad on the oilburners marketplace. Mine spins counter clockwise. Ive heaard theres two styles maybe.

Typ4 had some hershey kiss looking hats. Some people have made them before. A carburetor cover might be possible...

I have a few spare 2" orings if you find an ats hat.

Trying my best

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Right on thanks. I'll keep my eye out. I need an exhaust put on and a egt gauge first, then I'll tackle my intake. I would love a pic of your set up, if you can, I know it's a pain so if you don't feel like it, it's cool.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
vbpgimage.php

vbpgimage.php

I had these on my signature, not sure where the sig went though... haha
Second picture shows the hat, and maybe the short pipe that i cut 45° with a hacksaw and a miter box. then flip it so the cut ends line up and make a 90° bend. the piece was maybe 3" give or take, cant remember but it wasn't that big. this allows the angles to line up. The turbo outlet is 2.5" i think, so something like this

http://www.siliconeintakes.com/prod...id=52&osCsid=e36df5afb1c3b9ca93ba284b48eb7552

And you will be set. Might be 3" depending on the turbo which would need this:

http://www.siliconeintakes.com/prod...id=61&osCsid=e36df5afb1c3b9ca93ba284b48eb7552

Also, make sure the pipe is 2" OD, not ID. Many pipes were 2 id when I tried. its too tight for the oring