old diesel rabbit engine in a 99 durango

budget95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's too bad they don't have one for a ford tranny. Guess I'll be looking for a Toyota tranny.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good morning! Just ran across this thread and thought I'd share some experiences. As far as the VW mill goes, they last a long time and have good power if they're turboed, but not much torque, and they're a high winder. There is a co. that makes conversion kits for these mills in the Samarai ... I'd love to do one of these in my spare time later if I can find a clean Zuki.
Now for direct experience. I've run Benz OM617 5 cyls for years and you almost can't tear 'em up. My latest swap is in one of my IH Scout II's. It's a weird duck, but fun none the less. It's a right hand drive w/half cab. The benz motor looks like a factory install. I have a homebrew propan system on it and with 31-10.50 mudders, I can brakestand a smokestorm with it.
These engines are awesome and with a little free tweeking run awesome. I've actually been looking for a clean Durango with a puked motor just to do another conversion! I think this would be an ultimate mid size ride!

Quigly

The pic is one before is was completed, but shows how the benz rad & oil cooler fit right into the stock IH core support.:thumbsup:

Just read this, and I have to say that is COOL!! Sadly, the OM617 actually has more power than the Nissan diesel that IH used in the late '70's...

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
First, choose power OR economy, dumping more fuel in kills the latter...

Second, there is a $355 adapter for an OM617 to a jeep transmission, I drive a 300SD daily and stock engine moves that 3500# car just fine 23mpg with an auto, 30 on the freeway.

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score

Second, there is a $355 adapter for an OM617 to a jeep transmission, I drive a 300SD daily and stock engine moves that 3500# car just fine 23mpg with an auto, 30 on the freeway.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Your 126 is only 3500 lbs? Lucky you!! I've weighed my 123 300D and even after subtracting my weight, it's over 4K...

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
I've never weighed it but by the book 3500, the early 126s had been lightened including aluminum hood and trunk, I believe a couple other items

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I presently own 3 of these Mercedes 617 engines. Two NA, one turbo.. Turbo makes more power, just like a turbo on a 6.9 /7.3 IDI.. Two are in Mercedes 300's , one for a spare.
Been wanting to use a manual trans behind one of them. Thanks for the link !!

Been thinking of putting one of these engines in a 68 F100 with a T56 6 speed trans behind it.

6.9Sam

6.9Sam
Reaction score
Cheaper Jeeper i have seen a TDI in a diesel mag, with 550hp and over 450ft/lbs in torque and 45mpg.