Oil Thread...Again

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So you know why my engine is in pieces? since you know please tell me why it is in pieces, you must of been here helping me all through this build, you are the angel on my shoulder that guides me as I work?
please entertain me and the others here as to why my engine had to come apart.
Javier
Here's a suggestion...something tells me you had better put that engine back together with zippers...because myself and others feel it will be down more often than on the road. ;Really
47,000 mile on 10 qts of oil...how cheap can you be :dunno :rotflmao

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's a suggestion...something tells me you had better put that engine back together with zippers...because myself and others feel it will be down more often than on the road. ;Really
47,000 mile on 10 qts of oil...how cheap can you be :dunno :rotflmao

I did fine for 5 years with no change,
You must be registered for see images

until I did my HAMMERDOWN run for 8 miles, you just have to always be right at the end of the conversation all the time. I know it is just you, you always have to have the last word...
Javier

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
Lots of Zinc and Phosphorus left in that oil! How much make up oil was added in that time and whats your filtration methods?

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lots of Zinc and Phosphorus left in that oil! How much make up oil was added in that time and whats your filtration methods?

I added a quart every 3000/4000 miles, and used a bypass filter dual element.
made it real simple, will be doing this exact system again very soon.
Javier

asmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Zombie thread alert. was doing some digging and figured rather than start another one i would bring this one back. it has been a couple years, just wondering what has come of the new standards with zinc and what everyone is running. i need to change my oil for the first time in my truck, and not sure what to use. I would love to use amsoil, but it is a little hard to swallow $100 oil changes.:eek:

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would love to use amsoil, but it is a little hard to swallow $100 oil changes.:eek:

I am not knocking AMSOIL in any way; I am sure it is good stuff.

But, what I have noticed in my area is that those who demand and regale AMSOIL are the same guys who never keep anything much more than six months.

These guys are the doctors, lawyers, school-teachers who can afford the stuff; hence, they can also afford to swap toys very often.

Like I already said, not knocking the product, just making an observation. :)

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are using ULSD, then the new CJ-4 oil is great for you. If you are still using LSD (you lucky ******* ( : < ), then you should be using CI-4. The formulations are different to account for the difference in sulfur content. I have a great UOA track record of CJ-4 oil in my 6.9L as well as Farmall 826 and Ford 2810 tractors. If you compare CJ-4 to the oils our engines were designed for, they are light years ahead (like Apollo 11 vs the Starship Enterprise). There is still plenty of ZDDP in CJ-4... more than enough for our engines. IIRC, the CJ-4 as the same amount of ZDDP as the original oil spec'ed by Ford/IH in '83. I just looked at a oil data sheet from that era for a Pennzoil CD or CF oil but I can't find it now. Must have misfiled it.

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
You're nuts if you think a teacher's pay comes anywhere close to that of a doctor or a lawyer. I say this because my wife is a teacher. They are not compensated NEAR enough for the crap they have to put up with and if you also think they get vacation during the summer, you're dead wrong.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
School teachers? In the same category as doctors and lawyers? Huh?

If you live in Kentucky, besides doctors and lawyers, although they probably make much less than teachers in other states, school-teachers are the highest paid members of the community.

Trying my best

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, Where I live that's not the case. Sounds like a good gig....maybe you should become one, auto shop teacher perhaps???:D

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was always my understanding that the additive content was lessened drastically, NOT to be compatible with ULSD, but to prevent clogging the emissions equipment on later model engines/trucks.

It is also my understanding that anything pre-catalytic-converter should avoid CJ-4 and stay with CI-4, regardless of fuel used.

Then again, I could have this all wrong.

Myself, so long as I can get it, I am using Kendall Super-D-3 15W-40 CI-4 :)

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
Go over to bob is the oil guy forum and check the VOA ****** oil analysis and UOA used oil analysis sections.

The add pack in the new CJ-4 oil is still very stout! Certainly more than capable of the 3000 miles most run their oil to.

CJ-4 oil also handles the soot allot better than previous formulations because of the increased use of EGR on the new engines.

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was always my understanding that the additive content was lessened drastically, NOT to be compatible with ULSD, but to prevent clogging the emissions equipment on later model engines/trucks.

It is also my understanding that anything pre-catalytic-converter should avoid CJ-4 and stay with CI-4, regardless of fuel used.

Then again, I could have this all wrong.

Myself, so long as I can get it, I am using Kendall Super-D-3 15W-40 CI-4 :)

It was both, sulfur content and dropping the ZDDP for the exhaust treatments AND CDX825 is also right about the soot handling being radically better than before. The other side of the new engines and their EGR systems is a massive increase in soot contamination of the oil. The CJ-4 oils handle that very, very well.

As to CJ-4 vs CI-4, you can use CI-4 or CJ-4 in an older engine with ULSD, but NEVER use CJ-4 with LSD... it can't handle the sulfur as well as CI-4. There isn't anything wrong with sticking with CI-4 but there no particular gain to it either. It's harder to find and more expensive generally than the CJ-4 you can get on sale at WalMart. The difference is ZDDP is insignificant in the long haul.

asmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it sounds like there is no real problem with the new oils. so do most people just run what is on sale that week? In my other gas engines, i just ran napa brand and it always worked great. just want to take care of this one and make sure it lasts awhile. i saw some people saw that their truck burns rotella faster than other stuff, what about delo?

edit i saw kendall mentioned. where are you picking this up and how much does it cost, i am having a hard time finding prices.