Oil Thread...Again

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have used AMSOIL with great results and will be using it soon in my new rebuilt IDI.
I was able to get 20MPG city 24hwy using 5W30 diesel oil in my IDI
and I also used the same batch of oil for 5 years and 47,000 miles before
I hurt the engine.
Now I have fixed all the issues with my truck, I built the rear diff, I built the C-6 with GV and lastly I fixed the IDI so now there cant be anyone else's crappy work halting my ride anymore...
I will be pouring in a new batch of 5W30 AMSOIL and that will never be drained out my truck, the breakin oil will be my last oil change.
here is a pic of my engine after 47,000 miles no oil change, when I had to tear it down. It was so clean you could see the markings on the block from the factory.
You must be registered for see images

I will have to find my folder with the rest of my disassembly photos if anyone likes to see them.
Many lubes are good some better than others, I found a lube that requiers some monitoring but no change, so why would I bounce around using this or that hurting my engine?
I just have to take oil samples and this will guide me along.
Anyone can use oil analysis to help extend the drains on thier trucks no matter what oil you are using!
Javier

Last edited:

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...here is a pic of my engine after 47,000 miles no oil change, when I had to tear it down. It was so clean you could see the markings on the block from the factory.
Yea that's pretty clean but is it really all that much "cleaner" then under my valve cover at 190,000 miles using good ole "dino" oil?
Yep, thats factory paint on the rockers...beats me why?
:sly
You must be registered for see images attach

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea that's pretty clean but is it really all that much "cleaner" then under my valve cover at 190,000 miles using good ole "dino" oil?
Yep, thats factory paint on the rockers...beats me why?
:sly

you changed the oil a bajillion times I didn't... :Whatever:
please use your good ole dino 47,000 without a change
and take a picture
Javier

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
Was at TSC today so first thing I decided to do was check out what they had for oil. As I suspected their Traveller oil is still CI-4.

They also had the Mystic JT-8 synthetic blend witch is CI-4+. They have it in 2 gallon jugs for $24.95. I checked the mystik website and it looks like they may have switched to CJ-4. It will be interesting to see what the rating is on the stuff when they restock the shelfs.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I want to see the old bearings out of that Javier. I dont care what the rest looks like.

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I want to see the old bearings out of that Javier. I dont care what the rest looks like.
what r u going to tell me about old bearings? they will not be anything like new bearings, you are going to say how horrible they look blah blah blah, fact is I did not start out with new bearings, so anything you have to say is useless and misleading.
If I buy a old used truck with 275,000 miles and put in a oil that cleans out the engine, I am not going to have a new engine, I am going to have a clean engine that has wear.
So your comments on my bearings like I said will be very misleading to say the least!
and yes I do have pics of the bearings.
Javier

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you changed the oil a bajillion times I didn't... :Whatever:
please use your good ole dino 47,000 without a change
and take a picture
Javier
With all due respects...at 47,000 miles you engine is in pieces and at 190,000 mine only has a new IP and new injectors ;Really
Oh and btw...only a fool would run the same oil for such a long time. Don't care what kind of filtration you're using, just a dumb idea:rotflmao:Whatever:

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With all due respects...at 47,000 miles you engine is in pieces and at 190,000 mine only has a new IP and new injectors ;Really
Oh and btw...only a fool would run the same oil for such a long time. Don't care what kind of filtration you're using, just a dumb idea:rotflmao:Whatever:

So you know why my engine is in pieces? since you know please tell me why it is in pieces, you must of been here helping me all through this build, you are the angel on my shoulder that guides me as I work?
please entertain me and the others here as to why my engine had to come apart.
Javier

1994Diesel

Constantly thinking
Reaction score
So you know why my engine is in pieces? since you know please tell me why it is in pieces, you must of been here helping me all through this build, you are the angel on my shoulder that guides me as I work?
please entertain me and the others here as to why my engine had to come apart.
Javier

YOU'R username says it all.:rolleyes: :rotflmao :angel:

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dont get your ******* in a bunch, I just want to see the bearings, I have been a diesel mechanic for 30 years and I am pretty sure I can tell a thing or 2 by looking at them, it wouldnt have gone 200k plus if they were ****.
I am just curious but if it ****** you off that much ,forget it.

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dont get your ******* in a bunch, I just want to see the bearings, I have been a diesel mechanic for 30 years and I am pretty sure I can tell a thing or 2 by looking at them, it wouldnt have gone 200k plus if they were ****.
I am just curious but if it ****** you off that much ,forget it.

yo relax ;Sweet
I get razzed all the time, the way you asked, I could tell what was coming next.
I really dont know how many miles my engine had.
I drove it 120,000 in 8 years, before that, who knows?
so to make a accurate judgment on these bearings is hard pressed.
lets see what you think..

engine failed from a clogged shut piston oiler
wich caused this...

It took me 2 years to find the core problem, as I was reassembling and found the clogged piston oiler on the same failed cylinder.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok from my machinist background part of the brain, the copper main bearing may have been a little tight or it flaked early in life. Did any of that piston heat go down the rod?
It is entirly possible the same crud that plugged up the oiler starved that main, that is what I would lean toward. The rest of the bearings look good, how is the crank?

I wouldnt run any oil that long but I do like synthetics, if you had run dino that piston would have chunks out of it.

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I knew exactly how I caused the damage, it took me 3 months to even know I had damaged the engine, during those 3 months I noticed black smoke at idle and a rising oil level, I pulled my second oil analysis, flagged fuel .7%
3 months earlier I pulled a 120mph run for 8 miles foot to the floor, IDIABUSE
now how the plugged oiler, who knows, may of been there since 1999 when I bought the truck, it took me 30 minutes to clean out that oiler, none of the others were dirty.
but it is so easy to blame the oil, oh the oil! you used it too long :bs
Just so things r straight, I do all the work except run the machine at the machine shop on all my equiptment, so I am not repeating some other swinging schmoe words, when he says what happened.
in 2001 I had 30,000 on my truck the head gasket let go, I replaced the heads with 6.9 heads, that were cut past the limit, one head is .017 past the limit and the other was .022 past the limit, those heads worked great and are still good, guides excellent still.
Truck always started up great.
SO turboed non turbo 7.3IDI high compression engine lasted me a long time.
was I abusing my IDI?
Javier