Oil pressure sensor help

Buffetkiller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im having issues with my new oil pressure sensor and gauge which i think im wiring wrong. So about a month ago i had issues with charging and i had the cluster takin apart about 4 times unpluging it and looking at stuff to fix the charging issue. Well the last time i plugged everything back in the oil pressure gauge never worked again. I wasnt too worried chances are my oil pressure is fine beings tho i was messing with stuff and i had a electric gauge and sender on the way!
So i since have hooked it up and kinda winged it as far as what colors are what. I bought what is pictured and hooked red:12v black:ground and green:gauge. My oil pressure on my aftermarket gauge only reads zero and never moves but i have been reading online that the sensor i got needs 5v reference on one of the wires. Has anyone had any experience with this style pressure sensor?

You must be registered for see images attach

BeastMaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most I have seen in that form factor are designed to feed a computer.

They run from 5 volts. Many are ratiometric, meaning the output also tracks supply voltage. Inside is usually a balanced differential strain gage, with a differential amplifier chip to amplify it's millivolt output to something in the order of 0.5 to 4.5 volts, given 5 volt supply.

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32945...d=1701amp-Hck9DDYvx94pce0qYAidTw1568845120316

The above link may help with your wiring.

Incidentally, this one interfaces perfectly with Arduino computers.

Last edited:

Buffetkiller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Darn. I knew i got the wrong one, should have sent it back. What sensors do all you guys use to feed an electric gauge? Theres a million different types

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What gauge are you speaking of? Factory or aftermarket?

Automotive gauges of this era use a ground reference to determine oil pressure. The sending unit either provides a range of resistance, say 30 to 240 ohms or it is really a switch that closes at 5 or 10 psi.

Buffetkiller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok sorry for the late reply. Its an aftermarket vdo. Thanks for the parts hyperlinks ill take a look at em

Buffetkiller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the first one for the 86 is the one i would want to run a gauge right? My gauge just needs a ground?

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it was mine, I'd spend the $45 on a vdo sending unit and be done with it

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your gauge is 0-80 psi, get the 0-80 psi sending unit from vdo. If it's 0-150, get the 0-150 psi.

If you want a warning light for low oil pressure, they have those too. You don't need a dual station as those are for one set of gauges in the engine room and one in the cockpit. If you buy a floating ground sending unit, you will need to run a separate ground wire to it. That's a waste of effort in my opinion.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel