Oil Pressure Sender / Gauge question for 1987 IDI Trucks

PapeCAT

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have been reading up a bit on the gauge/sender situation with these trucks. There is some conflicting info out there about the 1987 year trucks. Some say that 1987 is the last year of the real gauge readings and others say that 1987 is the first year of the "Idiot Light in Gauge's Clothing". I guess I can pull the gauge cluster and see if I have the 20 OHM resistor or not.

BTW I'm working on this truck. http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?69792-Selling-my-truck-who-wants-it

Getting the details straight, about to plop in a 1991 Cummins with getrag and divorced twin sticked np205.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
'87 is a real gauge still, no resistor, you're all set. They also have the nifty feature of having the bypass resistor for the ALT light built into the socket holding the bulb, as opposed to it being soldered on the circuit board. Speedometer cable may have silicone outer jacket too. Oh and the HVAC is purely mechanical on these, all cables and levers, no vacuum pump needed to operate it. Yeah Ford had some good ideas going on there, then went and cheapified everything for the next model year.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
damnit! thought i almost had a 69er ...lol
id check mine, but the 94 7.3 wont tell ya much.