oil pressure gauge hookup

NJGearhead666

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok im tired of my factory idiot gauges. im going to put some autometers and was woundering where is the factory oil sending unit located? id like to hook up the aftermarket oil gauge to the factory oil senders location. also does anyone else know the thread size of the port?

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my 1988 7.3 it's at the top rear of the block behind the GP controller.
I wanted to keep the OE guage working too so I simply T'ed off the existing fitting.
Sorry don't recall the thread size.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
On my 1988 7.3 it's at the top rear of the block behind the GP controller.
I wanted to keep the OE guage working too so I simply T'ed off the existing fitting.
Sorry don't recall the thread size.

thats it, i T-ed off to keep the factory gage also. non turbo motors are 1/8 thread and turbo motors are 1/4 thread. there are other places to put it if that line is feeding a turbo and not availible

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The thread size is just as posted above but.... Its national pipe threads. It would be ruff trying to install any other type of threaded fittings. I teed off the bellhousing fitting where my Banks turbo feed line is located. Getting in behind the intake manifold to the stock location is not a fun job at all... Unless you like laying on top of the motor.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I used the fitting by the bellhousing as well. Mine is non-turbo though, so I just removed a plug, then installed a t as I run my fuel pump pressure sensing unit and oil pressure gauge sending unit from that port.

Oh, and that fitting was 1/8 NPT.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can we install a real sender unit (like the one in my old C10 Chevy, big fat and reads real-time pressure), and wire that to the factory gauge and make it work like a real gauge? What pressure should the engine have, and what resistance sender unit would be needed?

NJGearhead666

Full Access Member
Reaction score
would it be bad to put a Tee onto the factory oil feed line for the turbo? ive read some guys say it gives incorrect readings. im thinking im just going to crawl under the truck and use the fitting on the driverside by the bellhousing that is pluged up.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
would it be bad to put a Tee onto the factory oil feed line for the turbo? ive read some guys say it gives incorrect readings. im thinking im just going to crawl under the truck and use the fitting on the driverside by the bellhousing that is pluged up.

i have heard that also but cant say for sure. as far as the side access you might want to make sure it is clean. i have heard that little dead end can build up crap in there.

pafixitman

Reaction score
NJ, the short answer is yes.
I had my gauge and turbo tee'd in the factory spot. That is actually one of the lowest pressure areas on the motor. I moved my gauge to the port by the oil filter and kept the factory sender tee'd to the turbo. My gauge reading is probably about 10 pounds higher.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree. Think of you standing there holding your garden hose with the water on, and putting a T in it a few inches from the end. Your not going to read much presure there.