Oil pan gasket?

86ford69

86 Ford F250 6.9
Reaction score
So i just replaced my lift pump and all seems to be a lil better. It still tries to cut out around 3000rpm. Anywho got home and let the truck idle for a lil and went out to shut it off and noticed a decent puddle of oil. Crawled under the truck and the oil is coming from under the front cross member. Look like from the oil pan area but i cant see it very good. How hard is it to the oil pan gasket? Do i have to lift the motor some or what?

romulus

Reaction score
sadly i think the engine has to be removed, the sump intake is only 1/4 inch off the floor of the pan, so i doubt you could slide the pan out.

i sure wish there was another way, i would really like to reseal mine.

anyone ever resealed without pulling the engine? i bet its hell!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Yes... Removing the pan when the engine is still in the truck is possible but not recommended. Jacking up the engine.... Dropping the pan.... then removing the oil pump and the pickup line can be done but going back is nearly impossible. Not nearly enough room to reach in and hold the pump up to the block.... Our hands and joints don't make those turns at all. Yes, we have some members that have done this but they don't like talking about it much... Its so much easier when the engine is on a stand and its facing you... Not the other way around.. Crap will be dropping in your face till you crawl out from under the truck. If you have 4x4 forget it now.... Just pull the engine...

86ford69

86 Ford F250 6.9
Reaction score
Well good thing my buddy has a cherry picker. I still dont feel like pulling the motor tho. Im gunna pull the starter and see if I cant get a better look. Still seems to run good. I did turn the idle up agian. Somehow it worked it ways back down to 500ish I cranked it on uo to like 750 or so. Its pretty loud but chagres better and idles is smoother. On the way home I was slowly running it higher and higer til i got to about 3 grand and it spit and spudderd pretty hard then when i got home it was leaking. I really hope I didnt pop a whole in the block. If so shes done and I will be parting it out and scraping the rest. I can barley afford to fuel it let alone put a new engine in.

86ford69

86 Ford F250 6.9
Reaction score
Yes to 4 wheel drive and no to crud in the face. I washed the under side of the truck today at the car wash and sprayed the rest of the truck. This has allways been a clean truck underneath. No rust and no crud in the eyes maybe a lil dirt but oh well. I wish i had the cash to fix this old girl up she dont need much more to be a awesome truck. Ive spent over 3 grand in parts in a yr and half I hate for it be something that UI cant afoord to fix. This si my daily driver and I loove this truck.:love::love:

86ford69

86 Ford F250 6.9
Reaction score
Let it run for 10 mins with not one drop of oil coming out. Let it sit for 15 mins and checked the oil. Two quarts low but still good. What the heck man? leak one time and not the next. Crazy truck.

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
My radiator did that. Leaked to let me know she was bad. Drove it home and it still had coolent visable. Drove till had time to get a new one and it never leaked agian till it was pulled. Treat the old girls right and they freturn the favorer.

86ford69

86 Ford F250 6.9
Reaction score
Im trying to treay her right. Over $600 worth of parts in the last two months. Just running low on funds and really need a job!

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
Your being to nice! LOL by the way if you need anything pm me and i'll give you my number. iwork in indy but live outside the kid shoting kid town

86ford69

86 Ford F250 6.9
Reaction score
Well brother if I end up having to pull the engine I will deff need some help. I know I can borrow the picker but I cant do it at my buddies house and I deff cant do it at my apt complex and I just about kicked out of my in laws mobile home comm just for changing spindles. If I even pop the hood they get all pissed off. Even said I can come visit but i cant spend the night!

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
Don't be feel bad to ask for anything. I have ways of getting parts also

86ford69

86 Ford F250 6.9
Reaction score
Awesome. You have any inhectors or a ip? I have a miss and a loud pop at cold idle. I really love this truck and want her to be around for a while.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, that is better than an oil pan job, but I suspect something is still not right with your lift pump. Even without a gasket, it shouldn't "pour out". :dunno

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online