Oil on concrete

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have my own magic recipe that I think works ok, but I've got a pretty good spot to clean up on my concrete driveway from a recent oil change (yes, I was in a hurry and no I didn't put down my normal cardboard mat) and I am wondering what some of you guys with lots of experience (read past messes) do to remove oil spots from concrete. I put this under the IDI forum as I do believe that the oil that comes out of an IDI crankcase to be the darkest/most staining oil on the surface of the earth. I swear it looks like somebody blotted my driveway with India ink.

As always, any experienced input is appreciated

R. J.

Bamfster

Reaction score
I soak it w/ degreaser, scrub it in w/ a broom and let it sit for about 20 min. after that i hit it with my hotsy and it comes right up. I have found this to work very well as long as i get to it right away.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Spray it down with starting fluid (ether, I dont know what brand we use buts its in a black can, and its rated for use for diesel's), let it soak in for a minute or two, and then wipe it up with whatever you want. It works fairly decent, though if the oil has been there for a long time, then it will leave a little bit of a brown spot, but it kinda blends in pretty good once you get enough of them LOL. Thats what I do when I get oil on the concrete around here.

SHIP4BRAINS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Simple Green, Greased Lightning or similar harsh household cleaner/degreaser works well...depending how porus the concrete is.

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
I use diatomaceous earth more commonly known as oil absorbent granuals sold at auto parts stores. I cover the oil stain with it then crush it in over the stain with my shoe. In a few days I just sweep it up and the stain is gone. Kitty litter works too but the kitty litter smell bothers me.

I run vegoil in my truck. I deal with staining all the friggin' time.

RedTruck

Reaction score
Items you need:

White gas
Floor dry (the white dusty stuff)
brick

Procedure:

Cover the spot with floor dry. Soak the floor dry with white gas. Get down on hands and knees and scrub the area with the brick. Sweep the floor dry into a dust pan.

If the spot is really stubborn let the soaked floor dry sit for a few days or you can use WD-40.

Some guys say the problem with doing this is when they get done with the spot it's so clean they feel they have to do it to the rest of the driveway.

Paul

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Brake clean and oil dry, will make it look like new! Pretty cost effective as well. Wet the oil spot with brakeclean and throw oil dry (I use the kitty litter type - it's cheap) and up comes the stains. Really bad ones my need a couple of applications, but the spot gets much smaller after the first go around.

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
I'm lazy I just pour some Gasoline on my spills sweep it in and cover with Speedy dry-let it sit till the speedy dry looks dry then sweep it up and reuse it on bad spills to start soaking up the nasty messes.

Last edited:

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input. Unfortunately I had to let it sit overnight as it was too late and too dark for me to deal with it last night. I used several of the methods mentioned here, but ended up using the old tried and trued muratic acid. The bottom line is it's far easier to clean up if you take a little time and don't make a mess in the first place.

The good news is I did manage to get the oil changed in my truck and put in the first treatment of Auto RX.

fire & smoke

Reaction score
have had good success on black oil stajns by spreading cat litter, cheap generic stuff, and working in with a brick, it pulverizes cat litter and makes it super absorbant. it does not take too much time/effort either.

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
Brake clean and oil dry, will make it look like new! Pretty cost effective as well. Wet the oil spot with brakeclean and throw oil dry (I use the kitty litter type - it's cheap) and up comes the stains. Really bad ones my need a couple of applications, but the spot gets much smaller after the first go around.

x2 ;Sweet

rubberfish

Reaction score
Brake clean and kitty litter. Does this
work on the stains that have been there
on the exposed aggregate for like two years?

poolguy

Slippery when wet
Reaction score
I didn't think muriatic acid would even begin to remove the oil since it bacically reacts to the calcium in the concrete. Seems like the oil would insulate the calcium from the acid. Dunno.
I'd try TSP (tri sodium phosphate). It's worked for me before.

Chuck

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
I soak it all down with Simple Green then cover with kitty litter, let sit for a few days then sweep it up.