Oil level & 5 speed...

BioFarmer93

OPEC Hater
Reaction score
OK, I just got back from a test ride.. There is a new noise coming from (I think) the transmission. I sit down at the comp to look at the OB board and immediately see a thread about replacing a ZF5.. In that thread, one of the respondents mentions something about "if the oil level was maintained".. Now, as much as it embarrasses me to think that I might have missed something SO important, will someone please tell me (and try not to laugh too hard) if there is a separate oil fill for the transmission or does the engine oil lubricate the transmissions gears?

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Drain the fluid and have a look at it. The amount and condition should tell you if/what might be wrong. If not, you can say you changed the fluid in the trans which is good preventive maintenance.

Mat J

Way down south
Reaction score
on the drivers side tward the back there is a bolt that is the fill and on the bottom thats the drain. use ATF not gear oil. should be 4 quarts just under. use a full synthetic also.

BioFarmer93

OPEC Hater
Reaction score
Mat, thank you- I was just doing a search on how much to use. I drained 3qts out so thats how much I put back in. The old stuff looked like pearlesant gold or brass paint. Probably been in there since '89. I'll add the other qt. tomorrow nite. I figure if it was doing OK on 3qts of old stuff, then it should be OK for one day on 3qts of new Valvoline MaxLife. This morning I went to FTE because I couldn't get on OB for some reason, and found a bunch of PDF's about ZF's... Not the exact same model I have but close enough to see where the fill/overflow hole is. I take it that by using that particular naming convention that that is what you do- fill it till it starts overflowing and close it up... Makes sense. Thank you for the reply. -Gus

Mat J

Way down south
Reaction score
yes thats all you need to do just fill it till it spills out. sounds like they may have had gear oil in there. someone put that in mine to before i got it. it shifts alot smoother with atf in it.

nyteshades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mat, thank you- I was just doing a search on how much to use. I drained 3qts out so thats how much I put back in. The old stuff looked like pearlesant gold or brass paint. Probably been in there since '89. I'll add the other qt. tomorrow nite. I figure if it was doing OK on 3qts of old stuff, then it should be OK for one day on 3qts of new Valvoline MaxLife. This morning I went to FTE because I couldn't get on OB for some reason, and found a bunch of PDF's about ZF's... Not the exact same model I have but close enough to see where the fill/overflow hole is. I take it that by using that particular naming convention that that is what you do- fill it till it starts overflowing and close it up... Makes sense. Thank you for the reply. -Gus

I use a pinky finger as a dipstick method. Fill it until I can I feel the fluid on my pinky when stuck inside the hole. No sense in wasting fluid and creating a mess waiting for the fluid to flow out the hole.

THECACKLER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My personal preference is to always break loose the fill plug BEFORE the drain plug just in case... They can be extremely tight sometimes and it would suck to drain the tranny lube and not be able to re-fill it..

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
you can refill if from the shifter.
I stuffed an extra quart in the trans with this method.

I run Mobil 1 synthetic and it shifts GREAT.

BioFarmer93

OPEC Hater
Reaction score
@ Nyteshades & The Cackler LOL! Too late.. The plug had the unmitigated temerity to defy my efforts with a box end, so I broke out my impact wrench and hit it with that.. unfortunately I stayed on the trigger a millisecond too long and put about a pint on the driveway before I could slide the pan under it...Oops. This will give me an oppertunity to test out my birthday present this weekend, compliments of my lovely bride- a brand new pressure washer.

@ DeepRoots Man, that would have been NICE to fill it from the top instead of the side with momma's turkey baster.. Not a problem though as I have until Nov. to replace it... Not being familiar with the beasty I could only do it the way it seemed to present itself.. I am still but a padawan learner, Master. Seriously though, an extra quart? Is there a breather valve on it somewhere, or is expansion volume/pressurization not a concern? I kind of got the impression from the name of that hole (fill/overflow) on ZF's PDF that there might be a legitimate reason for only being able to fill it that far. But, to be honest I often err to the side of caution with mechanical things that I'm not absolutely familiar with.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seriously though, an extra quart? Is there a breather valve on it somewhere, or is expansion volume/pressurization not a concern? I kind of got the impression from the name of that hole (fill/overflow) on ZF's PDF that there might be a legitimate reason for only being able to fill it that far. But, to be honest I often err to the side of caution with mechanical things that I'm not absolutely familiar with.

no breather or anything but it will blow fluid up and out of the shifter if its too full.they will handle 5 quarts but not 6 unless it has a PTO on it

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure its commonly recommended to overfill to a total of 2 gallons to reduce gear rollover (which happens when converting from a dual mass flywheel to single mass). I know I put 7 quarts in mine. Mobil 1 Synthetic 10W30 motor oil.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2 gallons :eek: i put 2 gallons in one once.and ill never do that again.it actually blow the rubber seal around the shifter out and puked fluid everywhere.burnt my arm when i pulled the fill plug to drain it down to the proper level.

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
that was my take on it.
guys here put alot more in it than I do.

But yeah, It's really nice to fill while sitting on the bench seat.... beats standing on your head to do it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online