Oil leaks

84TD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am going to put the flame suit on just in case.... -Flame Thr

I got a minor oil leak on my truck I cant find, by minor we are talking a 4 inch spot on the gound everywhere I park. Its either the turbo and/or lines or the rear main or maybe rear VCovers, I dunno.

The question I have is does the Bars oil leak stop work? What does it do? Will it mess up the rest of my gaskets? Is it like a engine narcotic that after I feed it to my motor once it will always need it? ...Its just cold, and I dont want to remove my turbo nor do I know how the get the downpipe off of it and I am sick of leaking everwhere. I am going to fix it proper in spring.
Whats your experiance/opinion?

Mighty Dodge

Reaction score
I think the way there supposed to work is they have chemicals in them to soften old seals and stop them from leaking. I don't think they work. It's best to fix it right by replacing the leaking seal(s) and or gasket(s). That way you won't have to worry about it any more.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
yea i would never put that stuff in anything i cared about. i have heard stories of that stuff clogging heater cores and radiators and i dont know of any way to get it out when you want to fix it right.

might be better off finding a friend with a garage

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A 4 inch spot is a pretty big leak....

Motor oil stop leaks work by softening and swelling the rubber in the seals. If your problem is a hardened or shrunken seal, the stop leak may help. I personally am a big fan of QUALITY stop leaks.

The "high mileage" oils that have been on the market for the last few years are simply oil with a stop leak package addded.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Try tightening up the valve cover gaskets. Don't crush the gasket. If you "find" a loose bolt just snug it up.

highest_vision

Reqistered User
Reaction score
My car leaves a 4" mark everywhere I park it. And a few inchers. Takes a long time before I need to add a quart. I just keep an eye on it. I'd wait until you can fix it, especially since you plan to.
James

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You guys have a lot of patience. I get mad when my truck leaves a couple drops - usually hydraulic fluid from leaking lines and cylinders. Of course when I got my truck I priced out new cylinders, now I just say "yea, it leaks a little".

highest_vision

Reqistered User
Reaction score
Of course when I got my truck I priced out new cylinders, now I just say "yea, it leaks a little".

That's the situation I'm in, it's the rear main seal and it's my DD front wheel drive. Calls for ~10 hours labor :puke: but from doing other ones I know it takes pulling engine or transmission to a certain extent.
Yea, it leaks a little :)
James

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online