Oil leaks...thoughts?

UMR_Engnr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got a few oil leaks. I've never worried about them much, because I don't lose a lot of oil, and I usually only drive around time. Now that I'm looking at a 500mi drive to the rally I'm taking a closer look at them. Here is a pic from the drivers side valve cover:
You must be registered for see images attach

It is like this on both sides. Is it common for these valve covers to work a little lose and start leaking? Should I just snug the bolts down or replace? If replace, how big of a pain is that job? It looks like some of the bolts are pretty close to the firewall.

The main reason I'm worried about this is that it is leaking right onto the exhaust manifolds. Seems like that is a bad idea.

I'm also getting drips out of the inspection cover, and it drips right on the exhaust as well. I really don't want to do a main seal right now, so I'm thinking about just adding a little tube to the inspection cover to move the drips off the exhaust.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So... First off, as long as you check your oil regularly and don't let it go low, you'll be fine.
I've run with much worse leaks from the valve covers for quite a while.
If you actually get the truck /hot/(generally when towing), you'll definitely smell it vaporize off. Slower/low temperature trips may not get hot enough to vaporize it.

You can definitely re-snug the bolts - worth a shot.
If it still leaks, just replace the gasket. You can do it without too much effort, though the clearances are tight.
Getting the valve cover up and out requires wiggling it around.
You'll definitely need to pull the fuel filter on the driver's side(this is why I love having mine on rubber hoses).
On the passenger side... IIRC, I don't recall pulling anything major.

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced both of mine was fairly easy didn't take too long on back bolts I just used a little wrench bolts aren't very long and can hand tighten them before snuggling up with wrench, usually when I've tightened things it slows for a littlebit but ends up leaking even more later. But as mentioned above I've also driven with much much worse leaks just frequently checked oil.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thats not a leak...its a deep exhale from the truck...leaks cause pooling under truck....dont ask how I knkw

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
It's a class 1 leak. Lol
My advice would be to just go ahead and replace the gaskets.
When you do it, flip the spreaders over.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not really a huge deal as far as leaks go... but as others said, go on and change them out. The passenger side is the hardest as you have to move the filter head or at least remove the filter. Passenger side is easy as pie.

New gaskets (preferably rubber.. not cork).. and SNUG the bolts up.. dont crank them down... and it'll be good as new.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Not a big deal leak but it will be later on. Once oil wicks under a gasket like this is never stops. snugging them up will slow it down. Might even appear to stop but it still wicks out. The drivers side is the easy side to replace. Not so on the passenger side. Lots of crap to remove and the back bolts are hard to reach. Try snugging them up and drive it. Bring gaskets to the rally. Might get some help there replacing them. Use it as a learning teaching event too. My guess is your rear main seal is fine. Lots of leaks into the valley pan end up looking like a main seal leak cause the oil drips down off the starter side and really looks like a main.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmustang1965

Members online

No members online now.