Oil leak

TheMonacoans

Reaction score
Hi All, Was checking around under my old motorhome with the 5.9 and found a pretty good oil leak coming from the fan just under the rad. All the hoses and connections are dry and tight. I can look up and see the shaft. Guess there must be a seal there? Is it replaceable or worse?
I'd rather do something about this before it becomes a real problem.

Thanks,

Bob

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you talking an oil leak from behind the fan drive pulley? If so, there are really no seals back there except the accessory drive housing and cover (timing cover if you will) You need to clean it good and see where it is coming from. We have had a few buses at work have the dreaded KDP fall out and crack the gear case near where the fan mount bolts to the block. Not pretty. You need to verify exactly where it is coming from.
Travis..

TheMonacoans

Reaction score
This is on a diesel pusher. No pulleys. Looks like all hydraulics. Rad is mounted on side of coach, fan mounted on frame rail, I think. All fittings are tight and dry. Leak is coming from from up in fan around the shaft. It's not pouring out but it's a substantial leak. I'll see if I can snap a pic tomorrow.

Bob

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it's a hyd fan motor, it is likely leaking at the shaft seal. Clean it up good and make sure it isn't leaking from the hyd fittings going into/out of the motor. You may get lucky and only have a leaking o-ring on a fitting (assuming it has o-ring style fittings). If it is the motor itself, get a brand name and some numbers off of it and see if a local hyd parts house can get you a kit or a new motor.
Travis..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online