Oil leak around turbo tophat?

rockbender

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got some oil residue around where the tophat sits on my intake. If I wipe it off before a drive, it reappears (imagine that). I've also got a little bit of an oily film on my injector return caps. Nothing appears to be a fuel leak here, seems to be more of a oil mist. Is it conceivable that there is a small amount of oil in my intake (from CDR) that is getting pushed out of this tophat connection when the turbo is producing boost? Any other ideas?
You must be registered for see images attach

Hopefully the photo will give you an idea of what I'm after here. From what I've read, this is a pretty standard 5.25" square o-ring or gasket that you can get for a standard carb intake - I know someone posted the Carquest number at one point and I can find that again. If this gasket is my culprit, do I essentially need to completely remove my turbo to replace it?

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Because its on a van I can't be sure if the turbo can stay on the engine but I feel it can. It can stay on the truck application. What you have in this area is an o ring seal. If I'm wrony then its as you say... Just a gasser gasket of that size and they are everywhere. Even a wrecking yark will have them on any chevy quadrjet 4 barrel carb no matter the brand engine.

rockbender

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I appreciate it!

Hopefully that is the culprit of the drool I'm seeing there.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
When I remove my Banks sidewinder top hat I use permatex ultra copper on both sides of the gasket. Its my insurance the gasket wont leak...

rockbender

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I'm looking at a picture of the o-ring kit (#93312) that FORDF250HDXLT posted during his turbo install, and I swear that looks like a regular round o-ring in that bag. Now I suppose a square cut is really the right animal, but I'm guessing that maybe a round would work too? I e-mailed banks for some prices - we'll see what they have to say.

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
The banks top hat seal is actually a square cut o-ring.

The real problem is the crank case vent. The blow by mist is traveling thru the turbo, into the intake.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the banks sidewider (2nd gen/currently still being sold, waste gated turbo) uses a perfectly round 0-ring in the pressure chamber.it's designed for that.
the ats 093/factory 93-94 turbo requires a flat/square style.
i used Fel-Pro #60038 with ultra black (high oil resistance) RTV for that,when i swapped to this hat for intercooler.
Victor Reinz #G27098 will also work.

i take it the turbo posted above is the first gen banks turbo? iv no idea what that takes.
trust the other guys here to tell ya before ordering,or pull the hat to inspect it yourself since there appears to be some saying it takes one,and others saying it takes the other lol.
hopefully something posted here can help ya.

edit,
according to the banks instructions:
1 O-RING, Intake Manifold to P/C................................. 57 93153 93153 93153 93153

meaning the same part number #93153 for wastegated and older non waste gated turbo pressure chambers as stated by hce above.

Last edited:

rockbender

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The banks top hat seal is actually a square cut o-ring.

The real problem is the crank case vent. The blow by mist is traveling thru the turbo, into the intake.

So what are the chances that a brand new CDR valve would be defective? I recently replaced it with a brand new one from the Ford dealer but when I blew through the ends I remembered thinking that it didn't behave like I thought it should. Hopefully I didn't get screwed on a spendy part.

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
There is nothing wrong with your CDR, as with almost every one that is replaced. The problem is in worn rings, and valves allowing compression into the crank case.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online