Oil in a 12v cummins?

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I heard some people say the sand bag walls & all the other stuff might stay up through winter, because of the amount of snow pack in the mountains, not mention if any place upstream gets more rain.
Where I live we get more news from South Dakota than Iowa. In fact some years ago some of the elites in Des Moines called NW IA the "armpit" of the state, or maybe it was the lib paper Des Moines Register.
Thanks for the info.

Armo

Reaction score
Thought id update this a little bit. Finally got around to buying a centrifuge from simple centrifuge and set it up for small batches. Ran a lot of oil through a few different pieces of equipment, tractor, skid steer, space heaters, and 12v cummins. Even ran down to -35F with 3 gallons added to my 35 gallon single tank in my pickup. Though it ran fine it hazed a lot and the air smelled exactly like unburnt oil, it also seemed like my motor oil darkened more quickly during this time so im thinking of trying to heat it to get a more complete burn.
Im looking into a fuel filter heater wrap but either im nervous that the 300F they say they heat up to will be dangerous for year round use or they wont heat the fuel much at all. Anyone have any experience with these?

Armo

Reaction score
Finally got around to getting some pictures uploaded. I was curious how small of a scale i could do and found the gallon jugs worked pretty well. Only cost i was out of was the add a drain plug that i attached to the lid of the blue oil jug, hose, and the black oil can that holds 2.5 gallons. Figured i better get something different from my current jugs so i dont mix up the clean and dirty. I had the power go out and discovered the hard way what the hose that is now going to the oil pan was for, its meant to prevent the unfiltered oil from getting into the clean when not running. It also came with the tools needed to disassemble as well as extra o-rings. The feed cone and capacity are the main reasons i chose this centrifuge. The clean oil exits the 3 holes near the center of the lid of the bowl. Ill be scaling this up to using 55 gallon barrels and filling them from my settling totes.
Ive also been lucky lately had a person posting free wmo on craigslist and it was 20 x 1 gallon jugs. The gentleman even gave me partial jugs of clean oil just to get it out of his garage. So far its been water and coolant free.
I added an oil extractor (http://www.harborfreight.com/6-1-4-quarter-gallon-oil-extractor-46149.html) to my list of tools mostly got it for changing differentials and gear boxes around the farm but found it to be very hand for skimming oil. When i get water contamination ill pour it into gallon or 2.5 gallon jugs. ill leave them sit in the sun then see where the water is on the side view of the jug then use the extractor to pull oil within 3/4 of an inch so im not having a bunch of waste.
I came across my first quantity of white emulsified oil i drained from a push mower that was given to me. Ive been tinkering with the emulsified oil to see if i can get the stuff to separate. Not doing an exact science but i added a bit of rug let it sit in the sun and had a few veins of separation show up after half a week. It didnt progress much after that so i added a touch more rug (at this point the rug seemed to have evaporated from my last trial) with some sea foam fuel treatment (as soon as the sea foam hit it i seen a reaction almost like it was boiling)then again let it sit in the sun after i stirred it. The next day when i went to inspect it i had black oil on top and a bit of water sludge gray stuff near the bottom. Due to such a small quantity im hesitant to say if this actually worked well. Anyone with larger quantities find a method to recover emulsified oil or be willing to tinker with this to see if its workable?

You must be registered for see images attach

Armo

Reaction score
Ive stayed away from heat since i tend to turn on the setup and do other things while it gravity feeds through the centrifuge. Its usually flowing through the centrifuge at about a gallon an hour to get some good spin time. I found patience and settling gets most water and junk out before the fuge process. Adding in some rug helps the settling if i dont wish to wait as long also better flow through the fuge but havent noted any filtering difference at the speeds i flow. I just get visions of having a fire happen and have the experiences to tell you its not far fetched.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
When I said chemical, it was with the exception of gas.
I can for sure see the hazards of using heat, but it wouldn't take much to get the water boiled off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Probably more than you think. If you want to dry your fuel, take a look a the biodiesel set-ups. Most of those guys pump their finished product through a shower head or something of the sort and let it fall into a barrel and recirculate it like that for a while. The water will evaporate at room temperature and the biodiesel will not. This is of course after they let it settle and skim it draining off the water from the transesterification reaction. Most people use it as a final drying step from the reading I have done. I dont see any reason it wouldnt work here. I know several ways to break an emulsion but you probably wouldn't want to put the crap in your fuel to get it to work. Salt works wonders to get oil and water to separate but again, probably don't want that in your fuel. Centrifuging (I'm not sure how your fuel fuge works but in the lab a standard centrifuge with tubes or bottle ect.) would also do a good job to break the emulsion and separate off the water.

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Doesn't regular diesel fuel have a certain percentage of "crud"/water that is allowed????

Armo

Reaction score
Probably more than you think. If you want to dry your fuel, take a look a the biodiesel set-ups. Most of those guys pump their finished product through a shower head or something of the sort and let it fall into a barrel and recirculate it like that for a while. The water will evaporate at room temperature and the biodiesel will not. This is of course after they let it settle and skim it draining off the water from the transesterification reaction. Most people use it as a final drying step from the reading I have done. I dont see any reason it wouldnt work here. I know several ways to break an emulsion but you probably wouldn't want to put the crap in your fuel to get it to work. Salt works wonders to get oil and water to separate but again, probably don't want that in your fuel. Centrifuging (I'm not sure how your fuel fuge works but in the lab a standard centrifuge with tubes or bottle ect.) would also do a good job to break the emulsion and separate off the water.

I really like that idea of circulating it and letting it become droplets to help dry it. Over the years heating oils has never worked out well for me. I had a line become disconnected at a power poll years ago and cause everything connected to ark to ground even my barbed wire fence was making sparks shower till the power company got it figured out. Ill have to try centrifuging it if I get another batch I didn't really have enough to play with to try it in my centrifuge. I was just seeing if I had some additives that caused it to separate as a pre centrifuge step and seafoam worked well at the time but I didnt have enough to see if the results were repeatable.
Doesn't regular diesel fuel have a certain percentage of "crud"/water that is allowed????
Ive always read diesel readily absorbs water from the air so I don't doubt it has some sort of moisture in it. As for a standard they probably do but just how well its followed is another thing. A friend up till last year worked in a refinery and seen some pretty bad fuels get shipped. Gasoline that was milky white. They just kept diluting it or selling it to places at a discount. Diesel that really was bad off such as high in sulfur, iron oxide, salt, and things let loose in the catalyst processes of the refinery and found its way into fuel. The bottom of the bulk tanks always had a few inches of crap on the bottom of them he said when they went to clean them out. This does show that settling is a pretty good method in the process of cleaning our alternative fuels. He also spoke of some failures allowing water into the fuel. Ive personally had bulk fuel delivered containing 2-3 gallons of water in it.