Oil Filter Schooling

indian347

Reaction score
I used to sell Wix about 20 years ago and then there was only 2 that were worth a crap. Wix & Baldwin i also think Fleetguard is one also.

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i dont know he didnt say anything about that..i posted this as more of a physical standpoint

A beautiful woman might be great to have around.
Great looks, the sound of her voice, the way she moves,
All things that would keep our attention.

Reality may be, she has a voracious appetite for all your friends named SANCHO.
She uses up any cash avaiable to her, pawns all your valuables, invites
friends of hers you dont know or ever seen before and rather not know.
She insults you in front of your friends cause she is a basket of insecurity.

ALL in all not worth the pretty picture on the outside.
It's what is inside that makes things valuable and worth the time.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
If you think that a flat spring is not going to function, then you had best not get in your truck and drive it anywhere, because I hate to be the one to break this to you, but your truck has a whole stack of flat springs holding it up on the back end ( possibly the front too if it's a 4x4) :D There's nothing wrong with engineering a spring out of flat spring steel, just a different design If you look around you will find flat springs used just as often as coiled ones in industry. Granted some of the rest of that other filter falls into the el cheapo catagory, and you know darn well for a class like that they picked the biggest piece of trash they could find to make theirs look best. That was after all a brainwashing session. If they had wanted their guys to have a full rounded knowledge of filters, they would have cracked open all available ones on the market and showed them brand names, not just showed them theirs looking great and then a brand x looking like crap so then these guys can confidently go to their customers when they ask when picking up their cars and will hopefully for the sake of the higher ups say, yes 'mam that there is the *best* oil filter you can git. and this will instill customer loyalty and return business.

Yes, I too turned wrenches at a dealership many moons ago, for me it was an AMC Jeep Renault dealership, and about 30 years ago but SSDD LOL

alienturtle

Human
Reaction score
i understand. Its just what my dad was telling me and showed me so i decided to share it. This is the info he got while he was there. Im not saying right from wrong but just sharing something i thought was interesting. As far as the spring goes. The instructor said in this case they did not design it to return. :dunno

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
Mopar filters are made by purolator like motorcraft. Even the ones for the cummins engines are made by purolator.

I have a picture of a FL1995 cut open in my picture link below. They are well constructed filters!

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
In actuallity those springs are designed to return.
Check out this nice independent study of a very large number of filter brands that have all been torn down and very carefully compared here Now, I really hate to burst your bubble on Mopar filters, but he had to devote an entire page JUST to them here . It looks like the one they popped open for the class was most likely a cummins /fleetguard filter for one of the diesels that they have mopar plastered on ( possibly a sprinter size filter) and there's a very good chance by the looks of it that the other filter was actually just another mopar filter. So much for that class.

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I always cut open suspect filters for engine condition, here is a MOPAR filter I took off a 5.7 Hemi truck with 57,000 miles and Dealer oil changes, Until I got in the middle.
so here is what one can expect from Dealer oil and filtration
You must be registered for see images

filter has a big job in this application, plenty of trash with dealer sold oil.

here is what was in the filter pleats

You must be registered for see images

Some would say this is normal, I would say the oil is of poor quality and the contaminate is proof.

The engine is still running so pictures of the inside of that engine is impossible, but who knows what the future brings.

I do have a SKI BOAT with blown head gasket and only 475 hrs since new
that just came in for repair, I will do a RCFA (root cause failure analysis)
1992 350 chevy, milkshaked the oil so apart it comes.

Javier

87crewdually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I always cut open suspect filters for engine condition, here is a MOPAR filter I took off a 5.7 Hemi truck with 57,000 miles and Dealer oil changes, Until I got in the middle.

Some would say this is normal, I would say the oil is of poor quality and the contaminate is proof.

The engine is still running so pictures of the inside of that engine is impossible, but who knows what the future brings.

Javier

Those results are usually from over extending service between oil changes. Motor oil properties break down and carbon up from heat and use. I'd tell the owner to change his oil on time or more frequent for heavy use.
I bet if you pulled the intake off that Hemi the valley is caked with the black bits of carbon and it's just a matter of time the oil pickup screen will become clogged and you'll be dropping the oil pan to clean it. This is based on prior costomers vehicles that I had the pleasure.

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score

Javier

Thanks bud, won my $10 back.

Anyway, I think this topic is starting to go in a familiar direction. Back to the original topic...

You can definitely see the difference in construction, alienturtle. I'm actually impressed they went as far as getting into the filtration end with your father's class. Although it isn't too far of a stretch to imagine the company teaching him to promote their own products, at least they are putting the thought out there for them to decide.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Fleetguard....That's what I use on my stuff - Donaldson is my 2nd choice if I can't get Fleetguard for my application....I use Motorcraft on my gasser fleet.:D....Baldwin is junk - pretty much a ******* child if you ask around the local shops in my area - only one place sells them and they are a last resort....All the dealers carry Fleetguard and Donaldson, any engine man worth his wrenches will curse at you if you hand him a baldwin filter-cuss....I make it a standard practice to cut open oil filters on any engine with a "noise"....Fleetguard and CAT both spiral glue their pleets to keep them from bunching up. The filter media in CAT and Fleetguard is different then the rest from what I've seen - it's not a solid paper construction, it seems to have some type of a gauze in it.:dunno...It's thicker....Proprietary laws make it impossible to copy the genuine dealer filters 100%....I was on a Ford maintenance course last summer and the Navistar engineer showed us the motorcraft filters versus the rest - some noticable differences in construction and fit.:eek:

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well this has been one heck of an interesting thread, some banter but mostly good info and personal opinions.

Well For what it's worth, on my cheapo engine's I use what I can and change regularly.

Amsoil filters when I have a decent engine, with the bypass,

I figure my old 498000+ KM engine died a death of me pulling too many things out and taching that engine way to high. Not a filter issue, it's a well I suppose it is a right foot filter issue...shoulda thinned out thepressure on the skinny pedal

One thing, sure got lots more to read now all about filters,,,Doh!

BigDiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Donaldson makes the CAT filters. I won't run anything else other than maybe a cummins/fleet guard psd filter.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
No one is more **** about filtration than CAT, my f-inlaw used to drive me nuts wanting tp put filters on everything in our garage...He brought home a fuel system pre-screen and fuel filter head off an old dozer to put on my cheapo parts washer...Works good down to 4 micron...LOL

bab029

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone make a reuseable filter for the IDI engine? And are they worth the money & do they filter good enough?
I know at Summit there is section of "washable" filters, toyed with getting one for the wife's vehicle, pricey.

Gulf Coast ;Sweet

But again... pricey....