Oil Filter housing threads damaged. NEED HELP ASAP!

Brady

Reaction score
I have a 1988 International 1652, that has a 7.3 IDI pre powerstroke non turbo. It is a former Fed Ex truck that I have converted into a Food Truck. I went to change the oil today and could not get the oil filter off. I ended up having to cut the filter off, clear down to the threaded "pipe" that the oil filter threads on. When I went to put the new oil filter back on it would thread on most of the way to about 1/4" shy from seating. To go any further I would have to really wrench down on it and I do not want to spend another 3 hrs cutting it off next time I change the oil. Which leads me to my next problem, I do not have the die to chase the threads on the filter housing. If I have looked it up correctly it is---- 1 1/2"-16-----(Wix filter 51742). And it would be a week before I can get one delivered (It is also $137.00:eek:) Any suggestions there? It is not cross threaded either, so Im not sure what the issue is.

So that leads me to my possibly stupid question. Is there any way to temporarily bypass the oil filter? The fix cannot use the threads that the oil filter threads on to. I will most likely need to use my truck before I can get it repaired. And every day it is down I will lose about $1000.00 dollars in sales.

Thank you in advance for your help.

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
make a thread chasing die, get a nut that matches the needed threads (preferably grade 8, but grade 5 will work too), use a triangle file to create thread cutters/reliefs, and chase the threads with it

you'll also need to make sure the nut is completely flat on the top side (hit it with a belt sander), or else you won't chase the threads all the way up because it will hit

you can also do this with a bolt to make a tap

lukewarmt

BCOilBurner
Reaction score
Of course you would want to get a new seal kit for the oil cooler if you went that route.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am not certain on this....if the oil cooler from a pu or a van would fit in your chassis but that could be an option for quick repair.

Brady

Reaction score
Jwalterus. Never thought about that. Ill give it a try. Thanks!

Ill have to look at how easy it would be for me to change out the oil cooler. From what Ive read I'd have to lift driver's side engine a little. As old as this truck is Im worried about running into other issues if I remove the oil cooler, like stuck bolts in the side of the head and then having to tap those out or the motor mounts being stuck. I really do appreciate the help, if there is any more suggestions keep them coming.

Last edited:

Brady

Reaction score
I may not have any luck finding a nut. I looked online briefly and cant find one. Even fastenal didnt have one

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How about buying an FL1995 oil filter and using jwalterus method for filing some thread cutters into it? I would also suggest some cutting/tapping fluid, or at the very least some trans fluid/oil to assist in chasing the threads. Pretty cheap and super available way to get the threads, and by the way: if you get it all the way on, you might just leave it in place :dunno

Good luck, your close to a solution, keep fighting.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
chasing the threads is a great idea for a quick emergency R&R.
i would replace the oil cooler header ASAP for a permanent fix.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How about buying an FL1995 oil filter and using jwalterus method for filing some thread cutters into it? I would also suggest some cutting/tapping fluid, or at the very least some trans fluid/oil to assist in chasing the threads. Pretty cheap and super available way to get the threads, and by the way: if you get it all the way on, you might just leave it in place :dunno

Good luck, your close to a solution, keep fighting.

If you want to try this, go to a Ford dealer or Oil change place. I'm sure they would have some old oil filters from oil changes, get 3-4.

I can't find any thread chart that list's a 1-1/2"-16 thread. That's got to be a special thread, that's why the cost is so high.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
chasing the threads is a great idea for a quick emergency R&R.
i would replace the oil cooler header ASAP for a permanent fix.

That I would do as Brian suggests.

Pretty sure the oil cooler rear header is slanted towards the rear for a Van instead of straight down like a truck chassis.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Why not use a knife edge file on the damaged threads? I have used this file on many threads to repair things like injector cross threaded nuts. Another repair I have used is apply some lapping compound on the threads. Then tighten till the parts stop and loosen. Do this back and forth. You are lapping the bad area of the threads doing this. Remember to clean off al the lapping and gravity is your friend here. Nothing is going to drip uphill into the main oil port. Using an old oil filter and lapping compound and maybe cutting the threads like a tap is a good idea. Can you see where the threads are damaged? If so that is the place to use the file idea.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
oil filter. not a place i would want half assed threads.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online