Oil filler cap

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are the 7.3 idi and 7.3 powerstroke oil filler caps the same thread by chance? I found this cap https://www.strictlydiesel.com/p-3184-bulletproof-diesel-billet-oil-fill-cap-90165022.aspx I want to use as it already has a threaded 1/8 npt port on it to route my bypass oil filter return line back into for simplicity, and buying this is a lot cleaner then drilling out a hole in the factory one to jbweld or somehow adhere a threadable pipe fitting to it.

Basically going to replicate this guys setup on his cummins and plumb the supply into the pressure port by the oil filter.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Just trying to make sure I can use that filler cap before I finish up buying parts. If not I'll have to rig something or do what I do not want to and try to get to one of these impossible head return ports under my ac condenser or in the back of my engine I can't reach, but I'm 100% trying to avoid those if possible because I hate working in these hard to reach spaces. I'd rather spend the extra 40 for that cap honestly.

gdubyah76

Reaction score
I'm not sure if the psd oil cap will fit the IDI or not. I like what you're doing and will definitely be following your progress on this. Have you thought about removing the IP cover plate (lemon shaped piece?) & drilling & tapping it to use as a place to return the oil? Seems like it'd be an easy place to have it & maybe out of harms way there?

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm almost certain they're the same threads from watching some videos of both engines testing the blowby on them and seeing the threads. I'm gonna see if the straight sixes are interchangeable when I get home from work today as well. Maybe there's a similar filler cap for it so I can be certain one way or another.

Upon review http://cdn3.volusion.com/hbdet.vzsbc/v/vspfiles/photos/6502022-7T.jpg?1400667830

That looks exactly like our threads for the idi look like so I'm just gonna order it. Worst case I return it, or give it to my friend with a powestroke.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance