Oil fill quantity

TomC

Reaction score
Just need to ask a question regarding oil fill levels. My truck will use oil down to the add mark on the stick then use no more between changes. Is is permissable to just add 8 quarts instead of 10 on the oil change? I prefill the filter with the change. Then I would put 2 gallons in and go.
Thanks TomC

1992 F250 xlt ZF5 speed 180,000 miles thus far

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Have you ever checked it hot? Pete over on TDS posted a Ford TSB about it and it stated how much oil would expand when it got up to temp.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
That's what the tech that visited the IDI Weekend out in PA (a few years ago) said. He said that checking the oil when cold would yeild a low reading. He instructed us to warm the engine up then let it settle for a few minutes then stick it. I never did check it cold then warm it up to see just how much it changed. Maybe someone could do that... hint hint...

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck always takes 3 gallon (12qt) every oilchange. I use the stock (short) filter and there is no modifications to the oil pan. I'll try checking it hot and see if its overfull :confused:

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
argve said:
That's what the tech that visited the IDI Weekend out in PA (a few years ago) said. He said that checking the oil when cold would yeild a low reading. He instructed us to warm the engine up then let it settle for a few minutes then stick it. I never did check it cold then warm it up to see just how much it changed. Maybe someone could do that... hint hint...

Ok, I did it. Mine took almost 3 gallons to completely fill (cold of course) with the large filter after a short run time to completely fill the filter. Then, when brought to temp and checked, I was about 3/8 maybe a little more of an inch or what I would presume to be close to 1 quart overfilled. I didn't believe it would make that much difference, but low and behold, I let it sit (Pete warned me it would go up) and the next day it was right on the full mark! I drained one quart using an empty jug and rechecked that night hot, then 10 minute drain back and it was right on full. Cooled again and it showed about 1 quart low, not exactly 1 quart but very close. The TSB Pete posted had an expansion range and IIRC it said you cold be up to 1 1/2 quarts overfilled after bringing to temp. The TSB stated that at that point, oil would be burnt. I am not sure if that is the level oil reached the rotating crank or what, but it explains the burn 1 - 2 quarts then stop using any oil problem, it sure worked on mine!!! They even said how you insert the dipstick makes a difference and that the loop should be toward the valve cover!

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good to know, I'm due for an oil change. I'll try that and see if it makes a difference. I've been doing it this way for over 50K so I doubt that the extra 2 qts are going to hurt anything. But ya never know. cookoo