oil cooler o rings

dulcevendetta

Reaction score
I was wondering where they can be purchased on the web? Or do I have to go to a dealer??? All I can find are the gaskets for the 2 ends that connect to the block.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
I actually have the oil cooler oring set for a 6.9 cooler. They came in the 6.9 full engine gasket set I got with my rebuild set. Can't believe it. So if anyone wants to rebuild a 6.9 cooler I've got some orings for ya!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Ford Parts Online (Bob Utter Ford in Sherman Texas) has them cheap too. Hopefully you need the 4 ring set and not the 6 ring set....

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
No they are different. The 7.3 rings are very easy to get. The 6.9 ones are not. This is the first time I've ever seen a set. I must say I've never seen a 6.9 cooler leak like a 7.3 one will, but they have a very low tube/fin count inside the cooler and are inferior in that sense.

dulcevendetta

Reaction score
sle2115 - would you happen to know the part number of the gasket kit you ordered? I found these at rockauto

FEL-PRO Part # CS8891

Attachments

• getimage.php.jpg
    getimage.php.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 13

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
It was a KS number, which was a full gasket set (minus intake), I'm trying to find the part number, but having no luck. I'll try to get in touch with the machine shop I used to work for, that's where I got it.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No they are different. The 7.3 rings are very easy to get. The 6.9 ones are not. This is the first time I've ever seen a set. I must say I've never seen a 6.9 cooler leak like a 7.3 one will, but they have a very low tube/fin count inside the cooler and are inferior in that sense.

Um... is that a blanket statement? Aren't we talking about the difference between 6 ring and 4 ring coolers here? The 6 ring cooler was native only to the 83 and 84. The 4 ring cooler is on the rest of the family. Are you saying all 6.9 and 7.3 coolers are internally different O-rings not withstanding? If there was a different cooler outside of the O-ring issue, I thought it would be only on the turbo model.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Um... is that a blanket statement? Aren't we talking about the difference between 6 ring and 4 ring coolers here? The 6 ring cooler was native only to the 83 and 84. The 4 ring cooler is on the rest of the family. Are you saying all 6.9 and 7.3 coolers are internally different O-rings not withstanding? If there was a different cooler outside of the O-ring issue, I thought it would be only on the turbo model.

I thought the same thing, that only the 6 ring (83 and 84) were different. I have a cooler in the spare parts bin that came off a 7.3 IDI (non-turbo), while I've not taken it apart, I was assured it was the same cooler as a 6.9.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
From everything I have gathered over the years we can only buy the turbo oil coolers now. Those are for bot 6.9 and 7.3 motors. This as done to reduce parts inventory. Now the 6 ring oil coolers are a possibility and those o-rings are almost impossible to locate. Hope this helps some.

Last edited:

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I'm feeli'n terrible. I have a leftover set of those darn orings from a gasket set and I can't for the life of me remember where i put them in that mess . I'll keep looking If I find them you can have the things. They are just going to dry up if I try to hang on to them.