Oil change costs!!!!!

Kris K

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So this last week it came time to change the oil in my truck. I ran down to the local parts store to pick up some oil and, a filter. When I saw how much the oil had gone up I about :puke:. I usually get the cheap stuff Coastal 15w-40 in gallon jugs. I've been doing some reading about putting diffrent weights of oil in the engine what weights can I get away with that will be cheaper to buy. I've heard 5w-40, SAE30, 10w-30. are just some I've seen on the web and also in the chilton manual.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Yeah the prices have gone up. I gave up and snagged a 55 gallon drum of Shell Rotella. It cut almost $4.00 off per gallon at the time.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Yes you can use those other weight oils, but they need to be diesel rated to handle the soot. There's the catch, the only diesel rated oils in those weights are all synthetics,which would be great for the engine, but heck on your wallet if your main concern is saving a few bucks.
Catch 22 :frustrate

-------Robert

Kris K

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Everyonce in a while Autozone will have Rotella 15w-40 for buy one get one half off, limit 2. Last time they did that I hit all the stores with in reason.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Everyonce in a while Autozone will have Rotella 15w-40 for buy one get one half off, limit 2. Last time they did that I hit all the stores with in reason.

I hate Autozone, especially here, this store has the most worthless employeescookoo I've ever had the displeasure of meeting....I'll check their prices and then go to Advance next door;Sweet , which has some really sharp salespeople and good managers, and if Advance is higher on the exact same brand part, (which it usually isn't), I have them price match. Never a problem. :D

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its really pennies and not the place to worry about losing your shirt. I have more complaints about the high costs of oil filters. But if you're goal is to save a few bucks try this to help with the filters. www.fleetfilter.com

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Engine oil is not something to get cheap with imho, neither oil filters. If You want to save money start making Your own fuel and that will save You some dollars.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
I hate Autozone, especially here, this store has the most worthless employeescookoo I've ever had the displeasure of meeting....I'll check their prices and then go to Advance next door;Sweet , which has some really sharp salespeople and good managers, and if Advance is higher on the exact same brand part, (which it usually isn't), I have them price match. Never a problem. :D

ouch......i am not worthless LOL i do know what you mean my auozone tried to hire and have at least on certified mechanic at all times. sadly i think that is not the norm at all.

what about going to by-pass filtration, i know it has its costs but it should be cheeper than buying 50+ worth of supplies everytime.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
ouch......i am not worthless LOL i do know what you mean my auozone tried to hire and have at least on certified mechanic at all times. sadly i think that is not the norm at all.

I instruct auto parts management classes here and there. I always use the Autozone system as having a mom/dad and a bunch of kids! I see it at Advance as well, they seem to do the same thing. I always thought it funny that there are five or six (kids) that constantly run to (mommy or daddy) and ask them how to do this, or where to find that!!! At least that is the way it is around here.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I'm specificly reffering to the local store here in Dunn, NC which is supposed to be a Hub store and is as disorganized and messy as you will ever see. They couldn't even hook up a $300 Nippondenso alternator correctly I took in to test and when they got no reading they said it must be bad(while I watched in awe:eek: ) so I took it to Advance and it tested fine.

Even been hung up on before when calling to check availability of a part that showed available in the store on their website because it's a 20 mile drive into town. She didn't even take the time to look, when I asked if it was in stock she immediatly said, "No I don't have it" and slammed the phone down. ***:confused:

SKimballC

Reaction score
Even been hung up on before when calling to check availability of a part that showed available in the store on their website because it's a 20 mile drive into town. She didn't even take the time to look, when I asked if it was in stock she immediatly said, "No I don't have it" and slammed the phone down. ***:confused:

Wow, I can not believe you actually got through. I personally avoid the place at all costs unless its late and I need something I know they have on the shelf, like RTV or hose clamps- anything that doesn't require me getting help from anyone. But since everybody I know calls me when their car breaks, usually at the most inconvenient times, I am forced to call Autozone to check availability of parts and end up sitting there on hold til I give up. But honestly it wouldn't be so bad if they had some nice gentle muzak, instead of some ******* screaming "Get in the zone! AUTOZONE!" over and over.:shoot: :shoot:

But yeah, Rotella's about 9 bucks at Walmart and Autozone here, but I choose to spend the same amount for it at TSC. I like that place.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online