oil additives?

7.3 man

7.3 idi man
Reaction score
I heard of the PSD guys running like shaeffer sf25 I think, like dura lube. It is supossed to help the rings seat and seal as the engine gets older, but I dont really think for our engines they'll do any good cause of the high compression. I was just wondering if any would help and if they could be used. Speaking of compression and diesels. Maybe somebody who has knowlage of electronics can help me, my question is how come do the newer diesel take longer to start (95 and up), I know lower compression is generally bad, but I notice my grandpa's f250 SD PSD, takes longer to start, mine has 95K and his 98K, both well cared for. Is that the way they made a turbo engine or am I missing something? I know all about diesel fuel and heat compression ect, it seems like I have to crank grandpa's longer and mine it'll start before I can think to let off the key.

kc0stp

30 Hour Famine
Reaction score
Run away from the additives, as far as why they take longer to start its because the injectors are fired off a high pressure oil pump vs injection pump. The newer trucks (basiclly anything newer then an IDI) require you have oil pressure before the injectors can fire so not only does the starter have to turn the engine fast enough to ignite the diesel via heat/compression but it also has to turn fast enough to generate oil pressure via the oil pump turning.

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
Only oil "additive" I would ever recommend is AutoRX, which is a once in a GREAT while oil flush.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I recently did some reading about BITOG, "bob" is actually gone.
It was ran by his wife for awhile, and then she sold the site.
But that's what I read. On the internet. (Cue state farm commercial)

But apparently a LOT of the snake oil's that are said to be good on that site, are actually unlisted sponsors of the site.

So take it for what you will.
Try it for yourself, at your own risk.

7.3 man

7.3 idi man
Reaction score
Run away from the additives, as far as why they take longer to start its because the injectors are fired off a high pressure oil pump vs injection pump. The newer trucks (basiclly anything newer then an IDI) require you have oil pressure before the injectors can fire so not only does the starter have to turn the engine fast enough to ignite the diesel via heat/compression but it also has to turn fast enough to generate oil pressure via the oil pump turning.
Now I got ya :)

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I recently did some reading about BITOG, "bob" is actually gone.
It was ran by his wife for awhile, and then she sold the site.
But that's what I read. On the internet. (Cue state farm commercial)

But apparently a LOT of the snake oil's that are said to be good on that site, are actually unlisted sponsors of the site.

So take it for what you will.
Try it for yourself, at your own risk.

BINGO! give the man a kewpie doll! THat;s been the running scam of that site the whole time.
Before they'll let you register on that site , they ask a ton of personal questions , and they won't even let you register, if you actually know what the heck you are talking about. It's nothing but a sales shill. Ive seen more misinformation on there than just about anywhere else. some of The companies involed love it to an extent because they arent directly responsible. A few that werent directly involved are mad as heck because they have worked real hard to prevent misinformation from being spread, but they cant shut it down, and they cant get any input on the site without *sponsering* it

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Only oil "additive" I would ever recommend is AutoRX, which is a once in a GREAT while oil flush.

Big difference, its not an additive, its a cleaner. Must remain clear on our nomenclature LOL

* oh hell Ive become my Grandmother!*:rotflmao

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
What "I" think is most important with a PSD is keeping the oil CLEAN!! So instead of spending money on snake oils, just use regular oil and change it more often. In fact, I use the cheapest oil I can find (supertech) and just make sure I don't rack up excessive amount of miles on it.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Help rings seat as they get older?? if a ring hasnt sat within first few minutes of a fresh engine being fired off, it will never seat. i cannot imagine how any additive would help help a ring seat unless its an abrasive, which you dont want between bearings.
theyres some stuff that apparantly melts into the cylinder wall covering up minor scuffing or pits, but never seen with my own ryes

7.3 man

7.3 idi man
Reaction score
BINGO! give the man a kewpie doll! THat;s been the running scam of that site the whole time.
Before they'll let you register on that site , they ask a ton of personal questions , and they won't even let you register, if you actually know what the heck you are talking about. It's nothing but a sales shill. Ive seen more misinformation on there than just about anywhere else. some of The companies involed love it to an extent because they arent directly responsible. A few that werent directly involved are mad as heck because they have worked real hard to prevent misinformation from being spread, but they cant shut it down, and they cant get any input on the site without *sponsering* it
I'll just keep doin what Im doin :) Good oil and a great filter.

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A micro glass style oil filter like a Wix 1734XE will clean up a dirty engine alot faster than any liquid in a bottle.;Really
You cant clean oil by adding more. :rotflmao You can clean up your engine oil catching smaller contaminate that Wal-Mart shelf oil filters never collect.

Catching small contaminate particles using SYNTHETIC Micro Glass filters flat out out performs discount cheap filters hands down.

But just change your filters cause JOE says "it's CHEAP INSURANCE" And BOB passed away and the site is a troll fest of ego :love:enriched ASE:love: Mechanic's:rotflmao that recommend stuff for youcookoo, like a permanent IP Ban.

Javier