big square cut oring
1984 F350 6.9l
sending unit is a E3TF-9275-AC

thanks

Paul

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Any gas or diesel fuel tank in any ford truck or van will fit fine. Most of the wrecking yards I go shopping at have the tanks removed from under the trucks and are in the beds. This is because the sending units fail so often or the shower heads break off and then you can't suck out the last 1/4 tank of fuel... Common issue with our trucks too.

techson

Reaction score
are you saying I have to go to a salvage yard for an o-ring? really?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Yes... Thats what I'm saying. You will find them everywhere. They do not go bad either.. Why are you looking for this square gasket??? They usually are not a part that fails and I know no Ford dealership is going to sell you one gasket. They will sell you a complete sending unit that includes a gasket.... For some big money. Look to spend close to $200.00 for a sending unit. Any powerstroke truck or van up to around the 98 year will be the same tank so the gasket will be the same. Find a pick n pull wrecking yard and go hunting for what you want. Might even find the gas fuel tanks are the same types in the Ford cars to but thats just a wild ass guess... WAG....

techson

Reaction score
well I pulled my fuel tank today because it was dripping fuel when full.
I expected to find a rusted out sending unit or locking ring, but everything looked ok. ( no rust)
there is NO shower head on the end of the sending unit and it's not in the tank either. I have a 4" piece of fuel line at the end of the sending unit.
the only thing I can see that might have caused some leakage was the o-ring ( it is a weird square rubber ring) was dry and had some cracking from old age.
I was hoping to put a brand new rubber ( with a little vasaline) in there and fix the leaking.
You must be registered for see images attach

Pull-n-TugTx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I picked up a the locking ring and seal from O'Rielys. It was over there in the HELP section. Ford fuel tank rings. There were two different sizes in the pack.

That begin said, I still have the a leak at the sending unit when the tank is full. After putting in a new seal and Lock ring. Think my fuel line add-on might be to long and holding the unit up.

Gonna pull the bed this wknd to see I can tell whats going on back there.

techson

Reaction score
Thanks a bunch, that helps!
Whats this add on your talking about? mine has a piece of fuel line clamped at the end, is that the add on? Has anyone used a sock on there to prefilter whats being sucked up? also i noticed it was prety hard to blow into the return, some kind of tiny wedge filter on the end of the return whats that about? Im wondering what a complete solution would be? new tank n sending unit from who?? Dorman?? i dont want to be fighting this for years to come.

Pull-n-TugTx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea "add-on" is just the 3/8 hose clamped to the hard line. I didnt put any thing on the end, as far as filtering. The tank has leaked at the sending unit since I put it on, and after the new Lock Ring and Seal.

I know somebody on here sells a Return Line Kit. Let me know what you find out, as will I.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Thanks for the gasket update. You do know there is a locating pin in the seal surface to locate the sending unit so the lines connect properly. That flapper at the end of the return line must be there so the return line system does not drain down when the engine is shut down. Its kinda like a check valve holding fuel in the return system. Thats a good thing. Also it sems like someone before you has replaced the suction shower head with the rubber hose.

techson

Reaction score
Autozone has the lockring and o-ring in dorman #579-003 pricey at $15
they also said they had about 20 different sock filters and I'm going to see if one of them can be adapted to work with the addon fuel hose

does anyone know the correct length of addon hose to replace the showhead?

+1 on the return flapper! I figured it wouldnt be a good idea to remove that :)

it looks like there are 2 slots in the tank and tabs on the sending unit so it only fits in 1 way, the lines facing forward.

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
Don't bother with the sock, it will only decrease your fuel availability. The fuel filter for these trucks is meant to trap any foreign junk. The factory shower heads sat right on the bottom of the tank with only 1/16 inch of room for flow. The end of the fuel pickup tube is about 2 1/2 inches from the bottom of the tank.

Pull-n-TugTx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the gasket update. You do know there is a locating pin in the seal surface to locate the sending unit so the lines connect properly. That flapper at the end of the return line must be there so the return line system does not drain down when the engine is shut down. Its kinda like a check valve holding fuel in the return system. Thats a good thing. Also it sems like someone before you has replaced the suction shower head with the rubber hose.

I will look into this. The tank only leaks when the engine is off. Odds are WrenchTurner/Me error :backoff

techson

Reaction score
Don't bother with the sock, it will only decrease your fuel availability. The fuel filter for these trucks is meant to trap any foreign junk. The factory shower heads sat right on the bottom of the tank with only 1/16 inch of room for flow. The end of the fuel pickup tube is about 2 1/2 inches from the bottom of the tank.

thanks for that, so the addon hose should be at most 3" past the clamp!

I also ordered the
Wix 24770 Filter Mounting Base, Amazon.com LLC
Wix 33439 Spin-On Fuel and Water Separator Filter, Amazon.com LLC

total for both was $47.34

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seven4eight

Members online